Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 1:24:19 PM EDT
I'm nearly complete with my first AR build and it's all flat top front to rear... (yes I'll post pics)
My new 512 is on the way, but I don't have front or rear sights yet.

Question #1 - Can I sight in my EOtech 512 with out any iron sights on the rifle?

Question #2 - Do I really even need to have iron sights?

MANY Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You can sight in your rifle with out iron sights, but if you don’t have a front sight base of some type your weapon won’t cycle, you’ll be porting all your gas overboard.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a gas block on it, dude. h
I'll post pics when it's all done.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
#1) Yes.

#2) No.

It's about as simple as that.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok I am new but I personally think having irons is essential.  I have a new ar and new EO552 and am waiting for funds for a new BUIS.  I feel BUIS is needed if the EO or whatever fails.  Of course it depends on personal use and so on.  

But--my one AR is going to be my crutch if anything "bad" were to happen and I needed it.

I have handguns, etc., but as someone else said, they are only to fight my way to my rifle.Edited for mispelling AGAIN
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's only gonna be used for paper punching then front and rear BUIS's are not really needed.  If it is something you need to depend on they are worth the money.  Check the EE, there are quite a few deals on front and rear BUIS sets.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
No combat-style rifle should be without iron sights.  You never know.  Plus, what happens when you make a range trip and your optic breaks?  Waste of a day.

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Plus, what happens when you make a range trip and your optic breaks?  Waste of a day.

+1
I was just going to post the same thing until you beat me to it ...  Get some BUIS and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 551 eotech on my M4 LMT  and arms 40 BUIS
I dought I will ever use the arms BUIS but it is nice to have one anyways!
what another 100 bucks
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top