Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 1:36:59 PM EDT
Well after spend close for $500 for an Aimpoint and a mount I read this:

At ranges of 150 meters and beyond, the effects of parallax are minimal. However, at ranges of 25 meters and closer, parallax exists and the shooter must ensure that the red dot is centered while zeroing. The aiming method (two eyes open or one eye open) used to zero must be used to engage targets (both eyes open is HIGHLY recommended). Each click of the adjustment screw makes a 5/32" (4mm) movement of the point of impact at 25 meters (1/2 MOA).

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/aimointm68zeroingmethod.msnw

Thats the last time I am ever going to "splurge" on an optic. And yes I would consider $500 splurging when you can pick up a red dot optic for around 1/5 of the price. Why is the Aimpoint so expensive when it isn't even parallax free? Are we just paying for a name brand or is there some point to the extra money. I thought I could rest easy knowing that I paid alot for an optic and that I could trust it. Hell, looks like from the parallax issue that it is just as shitty as the rest of them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That's interesting...

I always thought Aimpoints were parallax free...at least that was what their website stated.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's interesting...

I always thought Aimpoints were parallax free...at least that was what their website stated.

Thats what I had always been told and believed it, but after reading this I am MAD .
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
regardless of optic you would need a good zero to take advantage of it.

properly zero and there are no problems with parallax at any range close in. i have used my aimpoint with great success and up close it's usually a point/shoot type of thing.

if you plan on getting rid of your aimpoint i have an ar pistol with aimpoint clone that i am wanting to trade for a nice m3 2moa with laure mount.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Amount of parallax at close ranges is in the noise.  Or to look at it from a different perspective, let's say you use a 50 yard IBZ.  Delta between LOS and boresight will be greater than the parallax.  As you should know, POI will be below your aimpoint given this vertical delta, so you must consciously hold high.  That's a larger delta than the short range parallax.  Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's interesting...

Thats what I had always been told and believed it, but after reading this I am MAD .

You shoulda bought an EOTech

OK, so you sell your Aimpoint, and you buy a cheap red-dot that, from your perspective, is "just as shitty".  Now just imagine how MAD you'll be when your $50 Tasco cuts off between shots, or when you have to replace the battery every 4 trips to the range because the dot is so dim you can't see it unless you're in the shade?  And if you REALLY wanna get ticked, how about when you have to re-zero after every range trip because your piece of crap scope keeps "shifting zero" on you?  

I know jmart said it a whole lot more betterer than this, but unless you're going for quarter-inch groups at 30 feet during snap-shooting drills, I don't think you're ever going to notice parallax at 25 yards.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:41:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

At ranges of 150 meters and beyond, the effects of parallax are minimal. However, at ranges of 25 meters and closer, parallax exists and the shooter must ensure that the red dot is centered while zeroing. The aiming method (two eyes open or one eye open) used to zero must be used to engage targets (both eyes open is HIGHLY recommended). Each click of the adjustment screw makes a 5/32" (4mm) movement of the point of impact at 25 meters (1/2 MOA).

Thats the last time I am ever going to "splurge" on an optic. And yes I would consider $500 splurging when you can pick up a red dot optic for around 1/5 of the price. Why is the Aimpoint so expensive when it isn't even parallax free? Are we just paying for a name brand or is there some point to the extra money. I thought I could rest easy knowing that I paid alot for an optic and that I could trust it. Hell, looks like from the parallax issue that it is just as shitty as the rest of them.

There is no such thing as a 100% parallax free sight.  The EOTech even has some parallax within 25m.  However, for both the EOTech and the Aimpoint the effects are negligible.

Calm down!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Grow up. If you miss anything under 25 yards, its not because of parallax. Aimpoints are worth it if you are looking for durability, battery life, and customer support. If none of things concern you, then you really had no idea what you were buying looking for in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes the effects at 25M and under are minimal.  It's most likely noted because many units zero at 25M and some even qualify using the 25M Alt Course 'C'.  For those situations a small miss is the difference between qualifying and getting a no-go, or having a crappy zero.

So if you're going to be zeroing at 25M or running the 25M qualification course then yes center the dot.  If you're busting down doors or protecting your home then it really doesn't matter.  Try it on the range and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#11]
So you believe everything you read on the internet?

All your rifles belong to me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
you can shoot your rifle at 25 yds and less with the DOT TURNED OFF and group well.  don't worry about the caliper and speculum measurements and actually get some trigger time with your gun and you will see why it is not a big deal....
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Whats wrong with Tasco. I have had a pro point on my handgun for 10 years and it still works great with the original batteries.
JR
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Forest is right. The Aimpoint and EOThing are G2G under 25M. The tiny amount of Parallax at sub 25M isn't even worth noting except when zeroing or qualifying.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
What are you going to do, shoot tiny little groups at 25yds?

You need a Tac-Point.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess realistic expectations are just asking way too much.  ANY optic is going to have some kind of parallax issue somewhere along the trajectory.  What do want, an M68 with side mounted para adjustment?  Come on dude, it's a CCO.  What kind of para "error" do you think exists at under 25M?  It's a red dot Close Combat Optic.  Do you bitch about iron sights?  There's some error there too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
The operator and unit maintenance manual manual for the M68 reflex sight says it's "100% parallax free."
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Whats wrong with Tasco. I have had a pro point on my handgun for 10 years and it still works great with the original batteries.
JR

10 years on the original batteries?

That is fantastic!

Bob
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The operator and unit maintenance manual manual for the M68 reflex sight says it's "100% parallax free."

The above quote (first post) came from a draft copy of the M68 manual (TC 23-AIMSS) p1-6.

Also in FM3-22.9 (the Army marksmanship manual - which you can download from this site) the parallax issue with the M68 is covered on page 8-12:

..however the solider must zero with the same cheek position he will fire with because the parallax free is only effective beyond 50 meters.

again on page 8-13 of the same manual (dealing with zeroing):

At ranges of 50 meters and beyond the effects of parallax are minimal.  However, at ranges of 50 meters or closer, parallax exists and the firer must ensure the red dot is centered while zeroing
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
JR

If you have had the same battery in a Tasco for 10 years, you CAN'T be using it much so of course it still works!

Seriously though, the quality depends on the model...  The $100+ PDP series is a decent quality red dot for fun and competing, but the $50 and less "Red Dot" models are barely worth $50.

I had the PDP3 for several years on a couple different rifles, and it held zero.  I had to replace the batteries twice in that time though  Just don't ever look through a higher quality red dot (the OKO comes to mind first) as the difference in the clarity and the crisp, round dot will ruin your Tasco for you.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top