Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 1:28:20 PM EDT
I need some input here. I just want a versatile, well built optic setup that doesn't require batteries. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
need more info

fixed magnification or variable magnification? what "X"? do you want a mill dot? or "3 gun" style
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
ACOG
Just think of all the money you'll save on batteries.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Trijicon Relfex, ACOG, & Accupoint.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Don't these require batteries?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
need more info

fixed magnification or variable magnification? what "X"? do you want a mill dot? or "3 gun" style

My username should be "Don't know a lot about new firearm stuff"...I've been shooting for over 35 years, I'm 43. Pretty good with Rifle and handgun. But that's where it ends. I don't know all the leading edge stuff.

Doesn't milldot require batteries? What is "3 gun" style? As for magnification, I want to be able to use this gun if shit ever hits the fan. A little hunting, protection, typical survivalist stuff...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The Tripower use primarily fiber optics to illuminate the reticle, with battery back up, and also with a tritium backup. It's pretty fast, and not magnified. You could add, I'm pretty sure, an Aimpoint 3x magnifier to really give you a lot of options.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
need more info

My username should be "Don't know a lot about new firearm stuff"...I've been shooting for over 35 years, I'm 43. Pretty good with Rifle and handgun. But that's where it ends. I don't know all the leading edge stuff.

Doesn't milldot require batteries? What is "3 gun" style? As for magnification, I want to be able to use this gun if shit ever hits the fan. A little hunting, protection, typical survivalist stuff...

They're just trying to get a feel for what your intended use of the rifle and scope will be.  3gun is a type of combat shooting competition in which the participant uses 3guns: rifle/carbine, pistol, and shotgun.  This type of shooting is dynamic-multiple targets at varying distances, moving targets, shooting as you move, reloads, etc.  Basically it's make believe SHTF senarios.  

Basically in that type of competiton the overwhelmingly desired features of the scope include (or exclude, but are not limited to): light weight, low power (either fixed or variable up to 4x), easily aquired reticle (which is often lit), durability, reliable adjustments.  I'm sure there are others, but hey, it's late.

Trijicon makes several lines of optics which fit into this niche.  The ACOG line and the Accupoint line.  Most people who chose the ACOGs, opt for the BAC models (they have the fiber optic tube on top) because their reticles are faster to acquire than the non-BAC equipped ACOGs.  The Accupoint scopes are also equipped with fiber optics for easy target acquisiton during the day.  All Trijicon scopes have Tritium illumination for low light shooting.  

BAC equipped ACOGS come in two varieties-compact and fullsize.  The compacts come in either red or amber, yet they lack the bullet drop compensator of the fullsize models.  Compacts range from 1.5-3x and can be had with either dot, cross, or triangle reticles, and there is some variance in objective size depending on the models.  The fullsize ACOGs vary from 3.5-5.5x and can be had with either donut, chevron, or triangle reticles, and also have varying lengths and objective sizes; they are red only.  The ACOG line is widely considered to be the best in magnified combat optics.  They are robust and reliable, and allow a decent mix speed and precision.  They are pricey, but often deals can be found on the Equipment Exchange.  Expect these to range between $500-1000 depending on condition and model.  The 5.5x are usually even higher.

The Accupoint models offer the same quality as the ACOG, but in a different package.  They are not quite as robust, but are being fielded by some of the best troops with success and favor.  The TR21 is the most commonly used Accupoint to fill the role you posed.  It is 1.25-4x and comes in both amber and red.  The reticle is a post with illuminated chevron on top.  The Accupoint offers much greater eye relief than the ACOGs.  They usually run about $550.  

Leupold also offers a few scopes that might fit this niche, but I know less about them.  I'm sure someone else can chime in with plenty I left out, and about other brands such as US Optics or S&B.

Look around the site and at some of the sponsors.  Also, check the vendors here for good deals on optics, as well as the EE.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ACOG
Just think of all the money you'll save on batteries.

+1

T31F
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#9]
SIMMONS Pro Diamond 1.5-5 x 22 for approx $65.00
83' field of view at 100 yards. not the top of the line not the bottom. At the 1.5 setting you can use it with both eyes open and at 5power you're good out to 300yards easily.

I use it for three gun matches and I love the price and the quality

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't these require batteries?

No.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#11]
trijicon
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Trijicon ACOG or Compact ACOG

Tack
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Trijicon TA31F ACOG if you need magnification

or

Trijicon TX30 3rd. gen. Tripower for a non-mag. reflex type sight.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
SIMMONS Pro Diamond 1.5-5 x 22 for approx $65.00
83' field of view at 100 yards. not the top of the line not the bottom. At the 1.5 setting you can use it with both eyes open and at 5power you're good out to 300yards easily.

I use it for three gun matches and I love the price and the quality

I've got one of these also and I've been favorably impressed.  It's clear, solid and holds zero over the magnification range.  It's as good as some scopes I've paid 5 times as much for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#16]
ACOG.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy crap! These Trijicon scopes are pricey! At the risk of getting some negative comments, is there any good imitation trijicon optics out there that are any good? If I was out in the field and dropped my AR, breaking a $900 scope I'd sit down and start balling like a little wussie.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for taking the time you guys.  I guess I need to take my little list over to the EE board now... What a great site...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#19]
If the ACOG is too much then I second the Simmons ProDiamond suggestion.  You could also look at the IOR M2.  That is a fixed 4x that has a great reticle and is built like a tank, but it does require batteries.  Runs about $350.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Holy crap! These Trijicon scopes are pricey! At the risk of getting some negative comments, is there any good imitation trijicon optics out there that are any good? If I was out in the field and dropped my AR, breaking a $900 scope I'd sit down and start balling like a little wussie.

Considering that there are plenty of Trijicon scopes in Iraq, you'd have to work hard at breaking one. They're tough I hear. Certainly the Aimpoints are about grunt-proof. They do use batteries, but are about half the price (no bullet drop compensation though)...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#22]
An Aimpoint almost doesnt need batteries. Put a new battery in your M3 every time you vote for President.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
An Aimpoint almost doesnt need batteries. Put a new battery in your M3 every time you vote for President.

Seriously. I'm still on my original set of batteries from 2 years ago; they're going strong still. I'd get the M3 if I were buying my Aimpoints now, not 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Last month, I had the same question, and one suggestion was the IOR m2.  It does NOT require batteries.  Yes it has a lighted recticle, but when off, has a fully regular usable recticle.  Mine has the MP9 crosshairs, (can get cqb or dragunov recticle instead).  Built like a tank, and they make beautiful rings as well.  The glass is from Schott Glasswerk, Germany, and is as good as one can get.  Check it out.  
After sighting mine in at 25yds, then tweaking it at 100, I clicked the elevation for 200, and hit the gong right off.  Another click to 300, and another gong.  Then up to 400, could not hear the gong-but no dirt flew off the backstop either.  I either missed the berm all together (not likely), or I had hit the gong again.  Three clicks back down, and the next shot was right back in the black with the other shots.  Great scope.  Worth a look.  And not $900 clams.

Lois
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top