Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 8:37:35 AM EDT
I am mounting an Eotech on a M4 flattop. I have an Arms BUIS already so RRA Dominator mount is out. Do I need to add anything to get the Eotech sight picture to clear the front sight?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
No. But remember the closer the EOTech to the front-sight post the better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
My EoTechs are mounted far forward too. They have the relief that will allow them to sit out over the handguard. If you dont have it, replace the allen head bolt with the thumb screw and plop it on the upper.

You wont need the spacer or any other mount, thats one of the advantages to the Eos.

Enjoy,
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Stick your EOTech on your upper and try that out, and try to find and shoot a gun with an EOThingy mounted on a riser. That is the only way you will know which is best for you. I used to shoot a buddies EOTech--mounted on the rail--and when I got to try another gun with a riser, it made a big difference for me.

The other thing to consider is that the riser LaRue and GGG at least) allows you to detach and reattach without loss of zero or to ditch the sight quickly if it goes TU. I have seen a few pics of EOTechs with smashed glass that you literally couldn't shoot iron sights through if you had to.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I am going to mount it first on the receiver and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a railed FF HG and I mounted mine as far forward on the upper as I could, so it is straddling the gap. But the attachment is still on the upper not the HG. I'm thinking of moving it back a notch or two, wouldn't the external ring's 65MOA be skewed?

I swapped out my FSB for a flip up with integrated GB. I like the sight picture more without the front sight.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]
My first red dot was a ML2 on a A1 shorty, Love it!

My LMT M4type has the 551 eotech with no other mount! Just eotech alone.
I wanted the 1 inch shoter eotech to get away from the BUIS!

It works for me just fine!

use both eyes
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I find that the farther back the eotech is to the rear sight the better.  I like to have the "screen" in full view with lots of space for the reticule to be in.  Otherwise, the screen is so small that the reticule fills it up and can only be seen while it is in perfect index.  Try both and see what you like.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I used my Eotech right on the flattop for a while.  It felt fine.  I decided to try our the LaRue mount, and it definitely feels better for me.  My face isn't as scrunched down onto the stock.  Of course YMMV.

Quoted:
I have a railed FF HG and I mounted mine as far forward on the upper as I could, so it is straddling the gap. But the attachment is still on the upper not the HG. I'm thinking of moving it back a notch or two, wouldn't the external ring's 65MOA be skewed?

No, that 65MOA ring will be that size regardless of the eye relief.  Try this:  put the Eotech on a table an look through the glass.  Now step backwards keeping your eye on the size of the ring with respect to a "target".  It stays the same.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I was debating how to mount my EOT as well. I decided to just have the  EOT mounted right to the flat-top for now but have folding BUIS as a, uh, back-up. If I ever need the BUIS, I just flip them up.

I could always add a riser later if things seem to busy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
no need riser.  It co-witnesses as it is already.  In fact, I zeroed my eotech, and then adjustec the irons to it.  Test fired and found I was dead on with my irons.  Saved me a bunch of ammo.  I use my back up iron sights as back up.  The flip down front sight I found to not be necessary, but looked good at the time I did it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#12]
"I used my Eotech right on the flattop for a while. It felt fine. I decided to try our the LaRue mount, and it definitely feels better for me. My face isn't as scrunched down onto the stock. Of course YMMV."

same here
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top