Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 5:51:33 AM EDT
I do not have a flattop, its an older bushmaster with 16" barrel.  I would like to mount an eotech.  Should I get a carry handle mount, or buy a forearm rail system (which would be nice for adding a verticle foregrip) and mount the eotech on that?  Also, whichever system you recommend, could you please advise me on brand and how easy it is to install.  Thank you very much.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m all for CH mounted optics such as the Aimpoint or ACOG, but the EOTech would sit way to high. You have a few options:

1) Swap out your upper receiver for a flat top. (This would be the most expensive.)
2) Buy a CH mount that places the EOTech over the HG’s.
3) Buy a free float railed HG to mount the EOTech to.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats right, I would only get a scout style mount for the carry handle.  But which of the three options should I go with (best price/cost/value ratio) that will get the job done right.  Problem I see with a free float tube is that the cost to install is similar to the cost to get a full upper receiver.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Forearm rail system IMHO.

CH would be way too high.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thats right, I would only get a scout style mount for the carry handle.  But which of the three options should I go with (best price/cost/value ratio) that will get the job done right.  Problem I see with a free float tube is that the cost to install is similar to the cost to get a full upper receiver.

I’m not up on the latest offerings out there for free float HG’s. I purchased a YHM 4 railed HG a few years ago and it has served me just fine, so I stopped keeping up with the latest and greatest railed HG’s.

I might be wrong, but I believe MI makes a free float HG that does not require the removal of the FSB. The HG simply clamps around the barrel nut. I’m sure someone will chime in and set me straight if I’m incorrect.

A clamp style FF rail would be a viable option.

This might help: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=274635
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a carry handle gooseneck mount and co-witness your irons.
Forearm rail mounting would also work depending on brand. Some won't hold a zero.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I’m all for CH mounted optics such as the Aimpoint or ACOG, but the EOTech would sit way to high. You have a few options:

1) Swap out your upper receiver for a flat top. (This would be the most expensive.)

the red part is not totally true.  I had a Bushy A2 that I used to mount my Aimpoint on the handguards but I didn't really like a whole lot even though it did work pretty good.  What I did was to buy a Flattop upper receciver from ADCO for $109 and they installed the flattop at no extra charge.  I then sold my A2 receiver for $125 on the ee so I actually made a little bit of money for swtiching uppers.  You will then need to buy a BUIS which will make it more money but receciver for receiver there is no difference.

Mounting the EOtech on the forearm will work well but the flattop I beleive is the way to go
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the red part is not totally true.  I had a Bushy A2 that I used to mount my Aimpoint on the handguards but I didn't really like a whole lot even though it did work pretty good.  What I did was to buy a Flattop upper receciver from ADCO for $109 and they installed the flattop at no extra charge.  I then sold my A2 receiver for $125 on the ee so I actually made a little bit of money for swtiching uppers.  You will then need to buy a BUIS which will make it more money but receciver for receiver there is no difference.

Mounting the EOtech on the forearm will work well but the flattop I beleive is the way to go

You did good then! I was looking at it from the DIY perspective. With parts and tools to complete the job it was the most expensive of the three options.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top