Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:03:59 PM EDT
I noticed that the military is now issuing bikini covers for the Aimpoints.  Were there issues with the flip caps or are the bikini's just cheaper?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
All those SOCOM HBARS were getting to heavy.... they needed to lighten the load somewhere.....

Seriously I never thought the butler Creek covers held up that well. I busted my front cover about 6 months after I had it. Hard to break the Bikini covers... and no springs to pop out...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
All those SOCOM HBARS were getting to heavy.... they needed to lighten the load somewhere.....

Seriously I never thought the butler Creek covers held up that well. I busted my front cover about 6 months after I had it. Hard to break the Bikini covers... and no springs to pop out...

You mean the mid-weights?  

I'm thinking it was probably breakage issues, but I'd like confirmation on that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anybody use clear see-through covers on their Aimpoint? I wonder if that would be a good idea. At least for the rear, and maybe the front?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does anybody use clear see-through covers on their Aimpoint? I wonder if that would be a good idea. At least for the rear, and maybe the front?

I would love to find some that fit properly for both the front and rear.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
What's a bikini cover? Pic?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's a bikini cover? Pic?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The Aimpoints that are shipped directly to the Army all come with the bikini covers, only the M series that are shipped to the US for resale come with flip-ups. The see through covers are actually better than the standard flip-ups and they will not break as easy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone know where I can order one of these for the Aimpoint ML2 I'm ordering?  Is it difficult to replace the flip-up covers with a bikini cover?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone know where I can order one of these for the Aimpoint ML2 I'm ordering?  Is it difficult to replace the flip-up covers with a bikini cover?  Thanks!

I've been wondering where they can be had from as well.  The switch would be easy.  Just pop the flip up's right off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
In the past they have not been sold to individuals much, they are designed to work with Aimpoints QRP mount, there is a loop in the middle of the bikini strap that attaches to the large torque knob on the QRP. You might try contacting Aimpoint directly and see if they can help you out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I emailed Aimpoint about the covers -- their reply:

Dear Sir,

We don't sell them direct, but we do offer them to our dealers.  The
part number is 10797 and the suggested retail price is $11.00.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Not bad, that is less than the cost of one flip-up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay,  so which dealers are going to pick them up for us :D
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top