Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:33:36 PM EDT
I have owned a dozen AR's in the past 12-13 years, right now I only own 1. I was bore sighting this one tonight, as I plan on shooting it soon, by setting the upper on a table and looking through the barrel at a 50 yard target. Then I adjusted my EO Tech to the POI and turned it off. Then I set my irons to POI but the rear sight was almost all the way to the left. I turned on the EO Tech and looked through the peep and guess what it's on the post. Perfect right? But here's the deal, every AR that I've ever owned I've noticed that I've had to adjust to the extreme left on the rear sight.... I thought this was a little wierd so I walked next door and asked my neighbor if I could see his upper for a sec.... I brought it to the house with Jimmy in tow and set up his upper on the table and repeated the procedure............ EXTREME LEFT!!!!

I have good cheek weld and am a very good shot with scoped or iron sighted weapons, is this just a wierd coincidence or am I screwed up somehow... LOL

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
what upper is it?

could be a number of things

canted front sight
canted rear sight
overtorqued barrel
you
canted eotech
crooked table
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
This one is a Model 1 Sales....

The last one was a RRA...

The one before that was a E A Co.....

I have a .25 YHM riser on it and took that off and tried it all over and came up with the same results! It's just wierd to me.................

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#3]
When was the last time you checked your "eye-dominance"?

Mike
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the same issue with my cav-15 inch and sight but none with the carry handle on my Bushmaster 20 inch Now eye dominace interesting.  Can more people elaborate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When was the last time you checked your "eye-dominance"?

Mike

Funny you should ask, I can shoot with either left or right, but I make sure I sight in right handed cuz thats the stronger side.... Also looking through the EO with both eyes open and closing my left eye does not shift the dot like it should if I close my right eye...... So I would assume that I've got it sighted in to my right eye, correct?

- Clint

Edited to add: I can put the weapon up to my left shoulder and look through the sights and everything is in order, so I don't think it's me. It could be like Eklikwhoa suggested that it has something to do with a canted front/rear sight or over torqued barrel, I don't believe it's a canted EO Tech...... And I put the upper in a gun vise and leveled it so I disproved the crooked table theory! Thanks for ya'll responses I am stumped!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So I would assume that I've got it sighted in to my right eye, correct?

- Clint

Sounds as if your correct, here's a simple way to check.

Cut a small hole in a piece of paper (1/2" or so).

Hold the piece of paper at arms length and look through the hole (both eyes open) at a distant object.

Close your right eye, IF your target is still visible your are "left-eye dominant", if the target disappears you are "right-eye dominant".

Just the opposite if ya close your left...., if target stays inview, your are right eyed, if it goes away your left eyed.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I figured it out, my front sight is canted to the left.... So is my next door neighbors, LOL

Anyway I brought it to my local AR dealer and let him look at it, we ended up pulling the upper apart and doin' a little drimel work on it. Got it fixed....

Thanks for the help............

- Clint
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top