BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2006 12:00:29 PM EDT
Bottom Line:  What is the best flip-up rear sight?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Troy Industries.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
regarding the ARMS flip sight, does the sight lock into a detent, or is it just held under spring tension?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
regarding the ARMS flip sight, does the sight lock into a detent, or is it just held under spring tension?

Spring tension. I love the ARMS 40. It's a good unit that quickly deploys and is somewhat more durable if hit from the front because it doesn't mechanically lock in the up position.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my ARMS for what it is, a BACK UP SIGHT! I running an ACOG on LaRue mount. If it goes TU, I  would never feel that I was fucked because I had to revert to the ARMS. If I was useing my BUIS every day, day in and day out, I might go with the TROY, but for what it is designed for, ARMS and $90 is my vote. Save the extra money for some ammo or extra mags.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spring tension. I love the ARMS 40. It's a good unit that quickly deploys and is somewhat more durable if hit from the front because it doesn't mechanically lock in the up position.

Thanks...that is the info I needed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]

I know the GG&G MAD isn't that popular to a lot of you guys, I gave it a chance and it worked out to be an exellent BUIS. It keeps a perfect zero. It is a nice sight, I wish more people would give it a chance.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Matech.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]

ARMS 40L there when you need it gone when you dont, small and out of the way, my favorite
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the Arms#40. I have both the #40LP and the #40lp/sp. The #40 lp/sp will fit under a scope if it matters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Another vote for the Arms#40. I have both the #40LP and the #40lp/sp. The #40 lp/sp will fit under a scope if it matters.

Never have understood that "SP" deal with the A.R.M.S.  I know it is something about not having to zero at the different distances, or something like that.  But, with it being the same price as the 40lp, which is better?  or does it depend on use?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my ARMS #40 but only after I swapped the goofy aperture that is ground on top with a standard one.  I also flipped the aperture so the small one is the default.  Very happy now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never have understood that "SP" deal with the A.R.M.S.  I know it is something about not having to zero at the different distances, or something like that.  But, with it being the same price as the 40lp, which is better?  or does it depend on use?

Thanks!

sp "Same plane" It is the lowest of the Arms sight's. When you flip it up, it has a small hole that folds into the larger hole. No point of impact change.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

sp "Same plane" It is the lowest of the Arms sight's. When you flip it up, it has a small hole that folds into the larger hole. No point of impact change.  

So between this and the 40lp, is this one the better to get?  I plan to put my Aimpoint on my rifle and if I did flip up my buis, I would like to use the small aperature.  Isn't the Troy "SP" already as well?  Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#17]

I prefer the Wilson Combat TR-FURS.

With a long history as a pistol shooter I like having all my adjustments on the rear sight.  I'm not saying this is a 'better' set-up, just more convinient for me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
KAC, MATECH and TROY
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
MATECH
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#20]
sorry double tap
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to like Troy until they started coming with cant.  I have an old one which is great, but the latest one I purchased is canted enough to piss me off on three different uppers that I sent it back for an ARMS 40L SP.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I also read somewhere that you can remove the small aperture on the 40l SP so that you have the large one available by default.

Anyone know if this can be done on the standard 40l?

Also, I've seen pics on here of guys with scopes mounted over the 40l as someone above mentioned.  If the scope is above it, what good is it?  It can't flip up!!  Someone explain?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Also, I've seen pics on here of guys with scopes mounted over the 40l as someone above mentioned.  If the scope is above it, what good is it?  It can't flip up!!  Someone explain?

If you have a QD scope mount like the LaRue SPR or ACOG mount, ARMS 19S, etc., or even a standard ACOG mount with thumb nuts, you can quickly remove the optic if it breaks.

I'm not really sure what the utility of a BUIS is on a rifle that has scope rings bolted down with a hex nut. If your scope breaks in a firefight you're not going to be able get it off, so the BUIS is pretty useless. Maybe you could put a throwaway end wrench in your buttstock space or something.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm a fan of Troy.

PocketG, what BUIS is that?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got ARMS 40l, Troy, DPMS mangonel, YHM, ARMS 40.

toss up between teh ARMS 40L and troy.  both around same price, same height.

I heard we can't get the Matech's though?  NEver was a fan of the 'stick' type buis, e.g. KAC, matech - how stable can that be?  (Actual question, not rhetorical!)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I have been searching for a MATECH but can't seem to find any.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:30:05 AM EDT
[#28]
All the main BUIS are good, it basically comes down to personal preference. Having owned a GG&G MAD, a Troy, and an ARMS 40 I went back to the GG&G MAD b/c you can stow it with either aperture selected. That is the sight PocketG shows in his post.

re: the matech, check out this thread.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#29]
The Matech buis are available to the military only at this time.If you find one,it was most likely procured in a manner that was against the law.Personally,I think that any ads selling Matech in the EE should be trashed and the seller banned.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I think the KAC is best. Both the 600 meter micrometer and the basic 300 meter. I mean there are LOTS of good ones, so in many ways it is subtle personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#31]
ARMS 40
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The Matech buis are available to the military only at this time.If you find one,it was most likely procured in a manner that was against the law.Personally,I think that any ads selling Matech in the EE should be trashed and the seller banned.

Uh oh. Here we go with this argument again.  I think you should have put this post here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=265710
Otherwise this post may be getting a lot bigger soon...  I vote MATECH. I like mine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Troy no doubt.  rsilvers, how can you like the KAC 300?  It does not lock up and if you want the small aperature you have to glue it in or it will fall out.  I thinks its near the very bottom of BUIS for those reasons.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Troy is the best, followed by GG&G A2.  Reasons being...

Troy is strong, & locks up solid.  So does the GG&G, just the Troy just does it so much more *positively*,  just listen to that snap noise when it locks.  The GG&G locking mech. is strong too, afterall it is pretty much the same mechanism that is on most pushbutton automatic knives.

Pro - Troy has a same plane aperature from the get go.  They also made the small hole slightly larger than the .073? standard A2 size.

Con - Troy's same plane aperture is a complete departure from standard parts.  Not only is it made on something like a 135 degree sight leaf, it isn't even the same windage thread as a standard design, which means that you can't have a night sight option.  Well, you could, money will get you anything if you want it bad enough.

GG&G has standard A2 aperture which can be swapped for any other standard sight leaf.  Same plane, night sights, etc.

Pro - Troy uses a windage knob design that is secure, meaning your sights won't somehow get messed with, that includes your well meaning shooting buddies.

Con- Troys windage knov is kind of a bastard to adjust.

Con- GG&G uses a standard A2 knob,  it is easy to adjust for better or for worst.  You could always get one of those lockable windage knob like the NM shooters use.

Troy is low profile, GG&G is low, just the Troy is lower.

I think the Troy is lighter weight, but that is really splitting hairs.

I've played with the MATECH, its one of those things that looks cool when you first get it, then you start noticing the weakness as you use it.

Troy is $140  GG&G is $125, less if you look hard.

Brett
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I've played with the MATECH, its one of those things that looks cool when you first get it, then you start noticing the weakness as you use it.

Brett

Whoa whoa! Don't hold out on us. I'd like to hear this.  Please explain.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm a fan of Troy.

PocketG, what BUIS is that?  

GG&G MAD. It is truley a nice Back-up sight. It works perfect with the EOtech.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#37]
What's this about the 300m KAC insert falling out?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I like my ARMS 40.

The Troy site has been the only rear BUIS I've seen that has really impressed me more than my #40, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]
probably a reason why this thread was started and tacked.

i like troy which is probably stated in the link above
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What's this about the 300m KAC insert falling out?

the insert in the aperture is held in by little plastic clips.

I can see how it could be pushed out, but it doesn't seem very likely. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Where is the best place to shop for sights? Best selection? Best prices?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I like the A.R.M.S. 40 Low Profile Stand Alone sight.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Troy Industries
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#44]
I like the ARMS #40L. I saw a few threads on the canted Troy sights & how they handle it. Kinda scared me off trying one. I'm perfectly content with the 2 ARMS I have

HS
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I also have a couple of Troys. Basically for the reason stated above. It pretty much always sits folded down. If I have a primary optic failure (EOTech...like dumbass me forgetting new batteries, etc.), I want to just flip it up and go. It's very solid when it's up, large aperature is first viewable (small is available), windage is solidly locked (A1 style), and it's small/out of the way the rest of the time.

Perfect for a "go-fast" carbine.

However, it's not meant as a primary sight. As a result, it does not have A2 adjustments and other fancy features that would increase its size.

It's basically, "AW crap! My EOTech died!" *flip* *BANG* "Whew."
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Money wasnt a object at all! I bought a BUIS for my LMT!

out of all the picks I ened up buying the arms 40 Like it alot! Its been around a long time also
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So between this and the 40lp, is this one the better to get?  I plan to put my Aimpoint on my rifle and if I did flip up my buis, I would like to use the small aperature.  Isn't the Troy "SP" already as well?  Thanks!

On the regular A2 sights the apertures are offset so POI changes if you switch sizes.  Same-plane means that both are on the same offset so it doesn't.  IMHO the same-plane is definitely preferable.   Troy is same-plane.  Troy defaults to larger aperture,  #40L to small.   I think most people prefer to have the large aperture as the default for close-range emergency use and can take the time to fold up the small for a longer shot vs. having to use the small or take the time to fold it to get the big.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm partial to the KAC 300M over the issued Matechs. I've seen too many broken Matechs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#49]
STG77 -

...I'm not really sure what the utility of a BUIS is on a rifle that has scope rings bolted down with a hex nut. If your scope breaks in a firefight you're not going to be able get it off, so the BUIS is pretty useless. Maybe you could put a throwaway end wrench in your buttstock space or something.

(I am in the process of selecting a BUIS to go with an Eotech, so this thread is great!)

Please refer to the picture posted by PocketG on 2/16 showing a GG&G sight and an Eotech.

Question 1: Is it possible to use the BUIS with the Eotech still in place; i.e., can you see through the Eotech well enough to acquire the sight picture with the iron sights?

Question 2: Right now I believe I like the ARMS 40A. Will it be the same height as the GG&G sight referenced in question 1?

Thanks!
Alex
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#50]
+2 on the ARMS 40
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top