Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:57:05 AM EDT
I want to buy decent quality rings that will fit on a flattop () for the Leupold MR/T scope. Will ARMS flip lever 30mm rings/mounts (that ADCO has on their website) work?

Thanks in advance.
jim
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#1]
you will probably not see the fsb through a magnified scope.

if you plan on getting a qd mount i suggest looking into larue but if you are looking for std rings probably badger ordinance/nightforce on top of a riser/ext rail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I don't want the reticle to be right on the FSB is all...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Which MR/T??  3x9?  I would suggest Badger Highs or Super Highs -- or whatever ARMS/LaRue is equivalent.

You'll only see a dark spot in the bottom 1/4 of the optic at 3x.  At 9x you won't see it at all -- or very, very little.

As an example:

The TA31F above is technically inline with the FSB.  However, the sight picture is not burdened with any obstruction.  The TA31F is 4x.

FWIW...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#4]
what magnication is the scope?

with powered scopes the fsb turns into a faint blur if even that and would be in the right side of the sight picture. usually with low powered scopes you see the blur
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which MR/T??  3x9?  I would suggest Badger Highs or Super Highs -- or whatever ARMS/LaRue is equivalent.

You'll only see a dark spot in the bottom 1/4 of the optic at 3x.  At 9x you won't see it at all -- or very, very little.

As an example:

mysite.verizon.net/vze34g95/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/shivan-m16-1a1.jpg

The TA31F above is technically inline with the FSB.  However, the sight picture is not burdened with any obstruction.  The TA31F is 4x.

FWIW...

I think that is the magnification I'm looking at purchasing. Thanks much for your reply. It seems strange that the FSB is technically obstructing the view but it apparently doesn't distort the image. Probably some obscure optical mathematics at work.

BTW SWEET pic, love the brass flying.

Edit:

I'm looking at the MR/T Grant is selling in this thread

Think those rings are high enough? The LaRue Tactical SPR-E mount?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It seems strange that the FSB is technically obstructing the view but it apparently doesn't distort the image. Probably some obscure optical mathematics at work.Actually, it's pretty straightforward. The FSB is close to to the topic that when you magnify it, it blurs out into nothinginess. This is also referred to as "ghosting". I've experienced this on magnification as low as 1.25XThink those rings are high enough? The LaRue Tactical SPR-E mount?

As long as the optic will clear your BUIS and not touch anything else on the rifle then yes, they will be high enough. Remember that the lower the optic is, the better. A lower optic will allow you to get a solid, consistent cheekweld and, since it will be closer to the bore, it will be easier to to hit targets precisely at distances less than your zero with minimum "Kentucky windage".

Since you're going to buy the optic and mount from Grant, shoot him an e-mail and tell him which BUIS you have. The odds are very good that the set-up you're looking at will work perfectly with your rifle. The extended eye relief of that optic actually makes the height of your BUIS less critical because the eyepiece of the optic is in front of and not over your BUIS. I just received an Accupoint TR-21 w/SPR-E from Grant a couple of weeks ago and, because of the extended eye relief, the optic's eyepiece is way in front of my BUIS.

ETA - The Leupold MR/T you're looking at (the one in the thread you linked to) is a 1.5x5x20, not a 3x9 as you guessed at in your post. I just wanted to make sure you were clear on that.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm looking at the MR/T Grant is selling in this thread

Think those rings are high enough? The LaRue Tactical SPR-E mount?

At 1.5x you may have a problem with the FSB in your sight picture.  I think Badger super highs would clear it, but they are bulky, semi-permanent, and kinda high.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Matt and Shivan, thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, I would definitely go for a flip-up front sight before I got extra tall rings. Yes, it would be the more expensive way of doing things but it would be the best solution.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
At 1.5x you may have a problem with the FSB in your sight picture.

Case in point. I do not find it a problem to have the front sight in the optic's view when it's set to 1.25X. I do have a flip-up front sight but I have tried it, just to see what it's like.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top