Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 1:11:06 PM EDT
Am thinking about scoping my PTR 91.  Gun seems to be capable of under 2 MOA and with my deteriorating vision I think I need a scope to get the most out of it.

Basically want something that's rugged, of good quality, that's not too big or too heavy for shooting out to around 300 yards.  Think either a 4X or 6X will do the job.  Willing to go with a fixed scope for ease of use, and to save some $$.  Have heard great things about IOR and they're in my price range.

My basic question is which of the two 6X scopes they offer would be a better fit.  I like the reticle of the 6 x 42, it seems to have better eye relief (which is a plus) and a slightly larger exit pupil (another plus).  However, the M2 is illuminated, and is smaller and lighter.  Cost appears to be essentially the same at SWFA because although M2 is more expensive, they throw in a set of rings.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
My only thought between the two of them is that the Super M2 has a BDC dial calibrated for 7.62x51, while the 6x42 has the excellent MP8 reticle and target turrets, but no specific BDC calibration.

The only thing I DON'T like about the Super M2 is the rings, but for a PTR, that won't be an issue since you can just use the rings they send.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Onslaught, not sure what you mean about the rings.  Are you referring to the fact that the scope is a funky 35mm, rather than the standard 30mm or 1"?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Am thinking about scoping my PTR 91.  Gun seems to be capable of under 2 MOA and with my deteriorating vision I think I need a scope to get the most out of it.

Basically want something that's rugged, of good quality, that's not too big or too heavy for shooting out to around 300 yards.  Think either a 4X or 6X will do the job.  Willing to go with a fixed scope for ease of use, and to save some $$.  Have heard great things about IOR and they're in my price range.

My basic question is which of the two 6X scopes they offer would be a better fit.  I like the reticle of the 6 x 42, it seems to have better eye relief (which is a plus) and a slightly larger exit pupil (another plus).  However, the M2 is illuminated, and is smaller and lighter.  Cost appears to be essentially the same at SWFA because although M2 is more expensive, they throw in a set of rings.

Both of the IOR scopes are great and both have the BDC dials and both are illuminated. It just depends if you want 4X or 6X.  I would go with the 6X if you want to shoot out to 300 yards,  Go to USAOPTICS.NET for great prices.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#5]
[quote]Quoted:

Both of the IOR scopes are great and both have the BDC dials and both are illuminated. It just depends if you want 4X or 6X.  I would go with the 6X if you want to shoot out to 300 yards,  Go to USAOPTICS.NET for great prices.  

No, the M2 and Super M2 have BDC and illuminated reticles, the 6x42 has the MP8 reticle with a Mil scale for ranging with NO illumination.

Pippin, if you are looking for a deal check out this link, Mike is a dealer here on Arfcom. He is closing out the 1" tube 6x42 at a good price. Be advised the eye relief on the M2 and Super M2 is REALLY short, if you like to have the scope  away from your eye the 6x42 has about 3" of eye relief.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[quote]Quoted:

No, the M2 and Super M2 have BDC and illuminated reticles, the 6x42 has the MP8 reticle with a Mil scale for ranging with NO illumination.

Pippin, if you are looking for a deal check out this link, Mike is a dealer here on Arfcom. He is closing out the 1" tube 6x42 at a good price. Be advised the eye relief on the M2 and Super M2 is REALLY short, if you like to have the scope  away from your eye the 6x42 has about 3" of eye relief.

Thanks, I knew that.  LOL.  Sorry about the mwssup.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the help guys.  Decided to get the regular 6x42 non illuminated scope.  Liked the reticle, didn't really care if it was illuminated, and wanted to get the maximum eye relief.  Thanks for the link Cav.  Checked out the site and he didn't seem to have the model I wanted.  Great deals on some of the other IOR scopes though.  

Ended up going to SWFA, who are also a site sponsor.  Also have bought a couple of scopes from them in the past.  They've always had great service and good prices.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top