Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 12:33:28 PM EDT
I just stumbled on to this S.P.O.T. (Superior Precision Optical Technologies) Red Dot Spotting Scope / Mark III High Quality, 30mm Red Dot Spotting Scope. 6 MOA Dot 150 hour run time Water Resistant 11 position rheostat Cantilever Scope Mount Included Made in South Kore at one of our most excellent dealers newly revamped website.

Has anyone got a review on it?  

Likes or dislikes?

I don't want to hear the "you get what you pay for" line this is just something I saw so I come to the all knowing, all telling ARFCOMER's to learn more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
May I sujest the optics forum

Check this out too

6MOA BTW seems strange for a SPOT  MKIII Mine is 4MOA, and there is a 2 MOA version as well, didn't know ther ewas a 6MOA dot version.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
don't let price dictate your decision...if you buy a bargain basement special you wil be disappointed and wind up spending more money for a better one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
+1

I wasted half the price of an ACOG on crap before I finally realized that I need to suck it up or shut up and put down the $ for the real deal
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
+1, the military optics are worth the money.  Use the time waiting to get them to get some extra practice with the irons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
+1, the military optics are worth the money.  Use the time waiting to get them to get some extra practice with the irons.

No not actually not for all shooters they are not. Infact most people will not get the full valuse of what they are paying for when they get a "military optic"

If one has the money for it fuck go ahead and get an ACOG or Aimpoint or EoTech(my personal fav) I know I did that with my aimpoint. But trust me evverything you would do to an Aimpoint at the range or an ACOG at the range the better clones can take and so can the better built "less exepensive optics  as well. There are of course areas that the clone optics lack in, but most of those areas are areas that don't really matter on a range only optic. So while it's nice to have an Aimpoint or ACOG not everyone really "needs" one for the type of shooting that they do. remember that whole the mission dictates the gear thing. Well if all you do is shoot on a square range and don't beat yer rifle around there is nothing an Aimpoint or ACOG is going to do for you that one of the better clones can't do as well in THAT environment and THAT use of the gun.

ETA: And ALWAYS practice with the Irons, no matter what yer primary sighting device is I totaly agree with you on knowing yer irons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No not actually not for all shooters they are not. Infact most people will not get the full valuse of what they are paying for when they get a "military optic"

Why don't you give this a rest?

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If one has the money for it fuck go ahead and get an ACOG or Aimpoint or EoTech(my personal fav) I know I did that with my aimpoint. But trust me evverything you would do to an Aimpoint at the range or an ACOG at the range the better clones can take and so can the better built "less exepensive optics  as well. There are of course areas that the clone optics lack in, but most of those areas are areas that don't really matter on a range only optic. So while it's nice to have an Aimpoint or ACOG not everyone really "needs" one for the type of shooting that they do. remember that whole the mission dictates the gear thing. Well if all you do is shoot on a square range and don't beat yer rifle around there is nothing an Aimpoint or ACOG is going to do for you that one of the better clones can't do as well in THAT environment and THAT use of the gun.

ETA: And ALWAYS practice with the Irons, no matter what yer primary sighting device is I totaly agree with you on knowing yer irons.

A big +1

A good post and could not have said it better. If you can afford the high dollar stuff go for it. But if it is gonna hurt you spending alot of money get the clone. And always practice with the irons. My dad wishes he could still shoot with the irons (bad eyes). I really doubt you are gonna need a MILSPEC optic (unless you going overseas).

And as always IBTGQ  
In Before The Gear Queers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just stumbled on to this S.P.O.T. (Superior Precision Optical Technologies) Red Dot Spotting Scope / Mark III High Quality, 30mm Red Dot Spotting Scope. 6 MOA Dot 150 hour run time Water Resistant 11 position rheostat Cantilever Scope Mount Included Made in South Kore at one of our most excellent dealers newly revamped website.

Has anyone got a review on it?  

Likes or dislikes?

I don't want to hear the "you get what you pay for" line this is just something I saw so I come to the all knowing, all telling ARFCOMER's to learn more.

Good for cross bows and air rifles...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait a sec, is that a clone I see?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
If you look at the things we piss our cash away on in this world, it is hard to justify not spending the money on good optics. Once I heard Denis Leary tell someone that they were spending $80 a gallon on designer coffee I realized that I could afford what I want if I watch what I spend in other areas. Who hasn't laughed when they see a tacpoint with a mount that cost more than the optic. Besides, I just like Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I never did subscribe to the square range mentality.  I only go to a public range to sight in new optics, even then I never sit on the chair or use the bench, it's prone on a shooting mat with the rifle resting on a pack.  Square range shooting developes bad shooting habbits, and in this case as I suspect, influences a shooter's buying decision.
I attend classes about 6 or 7 times a year, all of them in sandy conditions with high rounds count.  Last Saturday, in muddy and pouring rain.  An EOTech developed a battery problem, the owner switched to 3 different sets of fresh ones before it decided to work again, other EOTechs worked ok.  All ACOGs and Aimpoints came through with flying colors.  Some problems with franken AR15s.  One had let loose 3 rounds in full auto when the bolt carrier was released, another lower had pins walking out all the time.  My own MRP ran well, due to the mud getting into the upper it was a bit harder to do a chamber check.

Anyway, I believe most, if not all of these shortcomings will either never surface or take a long time to show themselves in a square range, shooting off 200rds or so in a dry, shaded and comfortable environment (we shot well more than 1200 in one day).  If your weapons are intended exclusively for the square range, then I guess you can buy your equipment accordingly

One of my friends' MRP

Mine with a thoroughly soaked TA31F
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Duffy good post.

I don't baby my guns, and I run as many classes as I can afford to and make trips for the "no fun shoots" which are basicly training sessions to go over things learned in classes. The vast majority of my shooting is done on a square range, but it's all shit learned in classes, I don't have a lot to spend on ammo and such so my shooting is focused to working the stuff I learn in classes. I don't sit at a bench often. Primary optics area leupold 1-4x20 and an Aimpoint. But I also use the SPOT and the Tacpoint just to see how they are holding up to the abuse and they are holding up well.

Nice to see another rifle thats not all clean and safe queen looking.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#15]
photoman, is that dirt/mud or paint on yer shorty?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
photoman, is that dirt/mud or paint on yer shorty?

Looks like paint to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you are betting your life on the optic, get an Aimpoint, Eotech, ACOG.

If you are plinking with it at the range, the SPOT will work fine I imagine.  I fully agree, if you have the money and want to spend it on an Aimpoint or Eotech then do so and be happy.  If a SPOT will fill the bill for you then get it and don't let the gear queers bother you

I finally got one of these mounted on my M4gery tonight and will shoot with it some this weekend, if it doesn't pour rain.  Hey, lets be honest I'm in the dust bowl in Oklahoma, it's not going to pour so I hope to reduce my stock of tannerite by a bit this weekend

Thanks for the reply Jason.

I hoped someone would respond that isn't so hung up on the big three optics and will help people.

I really hated to ask about anything on this site because all us poor, dumbass, non-colt, non-ACOPOINTECH get is the same ol shit. "Mines the best & you suck!"

If I'd asked about a Bayonet someone would have said "YOU NEED TO PRACTICE WITH YOUR POCKET KNIFE!"  

Instead of just answering a question.

Even the fist reply pointed  me to the very forum that I posted in, like I had post it in the Movies section.  

WTF!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I will see how it works as I bought one from RB Precision and should have it next week. It will go on my brother in laws AR I am building for him. Would it be nice ot have a mil spec optic? Sure but he only goes shooting  when I go to visit and drag him out to the desert. I couldn't see spending 300 + on a sight that will sit in the safe for all but maybe 3 or 4 days out of the year. The rest that he would have spent on the sight can go to ammo. With a wife, 2 kids and all the bills that go along with it sometimes you have to save where you can. I am sure it will do fine against those murderous hordes of super evil clay pidgons and elusive but deadly paper targets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool man, Have fun
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the reply Jason.

You and Grant are good people.

I kind of figured if it was offered on your site, and a few others, it was worth the money.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Even the fist reply pointed  me to the very forum that I posted in, like I had post it in the Movies section.  

WTF!!!!!

Actualy it was in AR discussions when I responded to it, I believe one of the mods put it over here where it belonged.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top