Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:42:19 PM EDT
I have a 20" Colt A3 HBAR. I bought a scope for long range/precision shooting. I still have the iron sights/carry handle and will keep it for when/if I want to shoot irons.
I have been thinking about buying one of the reddot sights for another option.
Does anyone have multiple optic choices they use for a single upper?
Later on when I can afford it I will buy a carbine upper and probably keep a reddot on it, but I wonder how useful it would be to have more options for my rifle.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I would imagine it would be annoying to swap out optics all the time. You could get multiple uppers for multiple optics . It is a whole lot easier to tap out the pins and swap uppers. OR you could be like some of those three-gunners with a railed forearm and mount multiple optics there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of Snipers are starting to use red-dots like Doctor Optics mounted on special rails that attach to the scope rings for up close shots while moving to or from their shooting postions.

JP also has the mounts and their version of the Dr Optic.  JP rifles here

or check here thread link Grant will hook you up
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:08:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A lot of Snipers are starting to use red-dots like Doctor Optics mounted on special rails that attach to the scope rings for up close shots while moving to or from their shooting postions.

I have been looking into this myself. SIMPLYDYNAMIC , I imagine you went through the 8541 course and far beyond.  Would you use one in the real world? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does anyone have multiple optic choices they use for a single upper?
 Thanks,
Jim

I'm a big fan of the concept, weapons flexibility and even SHTF preparation.

Many say just build another upper for the other optic, well you could, why you could even build another upper for the iron sights.  But with QD mounts like offered by LaRue Tactical, you really have the multiple optic option as the mounts really do hold zero with precision.

That's one reason I like the Aimpoint M3 with 3X Magnifier on a Samson Flip Mount.  It's like having multiple optics without having to remove anything.

On my 20", I have a TA31F (BAC works really well for me) and also a Nightforce NSX 3.5-15X50 scope.  The ACOG is the primary sight and allows long shots, but the NSX gives high magnification, greater precision and clarity for target shooting and would be excellent in a recon/sniper role.

Of course, I could just build another upper for the NSX, the other great reason for multiple optics.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That is a very interesting option. I didn't thnk about piggy-backing a reddot sight on my scope.
I don't plan on swapping between sights/optics often, but I can envision the need to solve different shooting needs.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I have actually carried a SPR with the Dotor mounted on the rings and they are pretty damn durable...I will definitly carry that way from now on when im carring intermediate/lomg range weapon systems.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a very interesting option. I didn't thnk about piggy-backing a reddot sight on my scope.
I don't plan on swapping between sights/optics often, but I can envision the need to solve different shooting needs.
Jim

Ya you never know whats around that corner Jim!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
"Yes I have actually carried a SPR with the Dotor mounted on the rings and they are pretty damn durable...I will definitly carry that way from now on when im carring intermediate/lomg range weapon systems."

My problem with these systems is that I would never in a high stress situation think of using it.  

I carried an SPR in Iraq with a J-point on top of my MRT and used the J-point a couple times.  That was when I was entering buildings and actually thought ahead to switch optics.  

I don't really see the point esspecially since after a lot of range time I'm pretty sure I could get a torso hit at 15-20yds without thinking or aiming.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would imagine it would be annoying to swap out optics all the time. You could get multiple uppers for multiple optics . It is a whole lot easier to tap out the pins and swap uppers. OR you could be like some of those three-gunners with a railed forearm and mount multiple optics there.

Have you ever seen/used a LaRue QD mount?

Flip two levers with your finger and the scope is off.  Flip one lever and the red-dot is on.  No tapping.

There are LOTS of guys who have a red dot and a scope for their ARs.  I would suggest perhaps getting a low BUIS like the Troy or ARMS #40L to wear all the time, then the dot of your choice to swap back and forth until ultimately, you WILL purchase another upper.  Then, you WILL realize that a new lower is a whole lot easier than tapping out the pins OR flipping a lever

The EBRD is an aweful affliction, but the good news is, since they're all ARs, your wife probably won't notice one from the other...  Heck, my wife thinks I have one AR that I keep changing back and forth from green to black, with tan on the horizon.  I guess she hasn't noticed that the barrel continues to grow and shrink between 14.5, 16", and 20".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flip two levers with your finger and the scope is off.  Flip one lever and the red-dot is on.  No tapping.

There are LOTS of guys who have a red dot and a scope for their ARs.  I would suggest perhaps getting a low BUIS like the Troy or ARMS #40L to wear all the time, then the dot of your choice to swap back and forth until ultimately, you WILL purchase another upper.  Then, you WILL realize that a new lower is a whole lot easier than tapping out the pins OR flipping a lever

The EBRD is an aweful affliction, but the good news is, since they're all ARs, your wife probably won't notice one from the other...  Heck, my wife thinks I have one AR that I keep changing back and forth from green to black, with tan on the horizon.  I guess she hasn't noticed that the barrel continues to grow and shrink between 14.5, 16", and 20".

Have you ever used a Larue mount and swapped optics multiple times?  They are tight and require enough pressure to make your finger hurt to throw the lever... not something I would want to do on a frequent basis as it would indeed get annoying.  I could see doing it for a NV optic but the integrated Dr Optic just seems like a better idea after using one of those for a few months.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope my wife is that way. Ya gotta love 'em. She doesn't know how many Mausers I have. They all look alike.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have you ever used a Larue mount and swapped optics multiple times?  They are tight and require enough pressure to make your finger hurt to throw the lever... not something I would want to do on a frequent basis as it would indeed get annoying.

DevL does raise a good point. When a Larue locking level is adjusted properly it can be a bit a pain in the posterior to take on and off successively. However, I am basing my experience on the previous iteration of the Larue locking levers and wonder if the new version would make this process a bit less painful. I really haven't paid to much attention to the new style of lever because I don't want to be tempted to update the ones I have.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would imagine it would be annoying to swap out optics all the time.

Not if you're smart and buy LaRue mounts...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would imagine it would be annoying to swap out optics all the time.

Not if you're smart and buy LaRue mounts...

Again, beavo451 should be a bit more explicit as to what he considers "annoying" about swapping optics. One man's nuisance is another's "never mind".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I never said it was "cake", however I thought it an overstatement to say that swapping uppers would be LESS annoying.  

Also, I doubt you'd swap optics several times a day to say the least.  

"This Friday's trip to the range, I'll take the AR with the 3-9x on it and a couple pistols."

"Next Friday's trip to the range, I'll take the AR with a red-dot on it and a shotgun".

Of course, as can be witnessed countless times throughout this site, eventually, even a spare HANDGUARD will spawn a new upper, which causes a new lower, and next thing you know, you're picking out rail panels again because you just replaced the handguards with a new railed forend.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever used a Larue mount and swapped optics multiple times?  They are tight and require enough pressure to make your finger hurt to throw the lever... not something I would want to do on a frequent basis as it would indeed get annoying.  I could see doing it for a NV optic but the integrated Dr Optic just seems like a better idea after using one of those for a few months.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I never said it was "cake", however I thought it an overstatement to say that swapping uppers would be LESS annoying.  

Also, I doubt you'd swap optics several times a day to say the least.  

"This Friday's trip to the range, I'll take the AR with the 3-9x on it and a couple pistols."

"Next Friday's trip to the range, I'll take the AR with a red-dot on it and a shotgun".

That is the swapping I was thinking about, not swapping out during one range/hunting trip.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Have you ever used a Larue mount and swapped optics multiple times?  They are tight and require enough pressure to make your finger hurt to throw the lever... not something I would want to do on a frequent basis as it would indeed get annoying. .

I was taught a cool trick by Murderman at a shoot a while back.

For any of the quick release mounts that are tight, simply fold a part of your sling and and use the loop to hook the lever and it comes right off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#18]
From my limited experience, the newer LaRue locking levers give you a bit more leverage and more comfort when opening and closing.  I've never used the Dr. Optics at all, much less on an SPR mount, but I can imagine I would like to leave it there and not swap back and forth between it and a scope.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I love the Docter Optic/Larue mount addition to a scoped weapon. The only time I remove the sight is to replace it with a NV scope. Great flexability with this system.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My problem with these systems is that I would never in a high stress situation think of using it.  

I carried an SPR in Iraq with a J-point on top of my MRT and used the J-point a couple times.  That was when I was entering buildings and actually thought ahead to switch optics.  

I don't really see the point esspecially since after a lot of range time I'm pretty sure I could get a torso hit at 15-20yds without thinking or aiming.

I mean as a sniper....snipers have to get from one POS to the next right and manytimes I was in Iraq trying to find higher ground I would have to go into a building and clear up to my POS.  that is what im talking about and that Optic is great for that.

trust me if Im know Im going to be kicking dorrs all day then hell ya.....totally different weapon system...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I love the Docter Optic/Larue mount addition to a scoped weapon. The only time I remove the sight is to replace it with a NV scope. Great flexability with this system.

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Fongman/IMG_1090.jpg

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Fongman/IMG_1071.jpg

WOW! Nice rifle
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever used a Larue mount and swapped optics multiple times?  They are tight and require enough pressure to make your finger hurt to throw the lever... not something I would want to do on a frequent basis as it would indeed get annoying. .

I was taught a cool trick by Murderman at a shoot a while back.

For any of the quick release mounts that are tight, simply fold a part of your sling and and use the loop to hook the lever and it comes right off.

Thats a great tip Tim I will have to remember to do that.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top