Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 12:50:02 PM EDT

I've got a 20" flat top with an A2 buttstock that I want to mount a Simmons 1.5x5x20 Prodiamond on.   I'm trying to decide the best way to mount it.    

I'm thinking about on of theseM&A scope mount
or an YHM 5" rail extention with rings.   As dumb as it sounds I know very little about scope rings and don't want to spend a fortune on a set for this scope.   What would be a nice set of rings that i could use  with the YHM rail extention that won't break the bank?  

Also Would M&A mount provide enough eye relief for a nose to charging handle cheek weld or close to it?   Thanks for any and all help!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Those rings look like Armalite knockoffs.  If you want QD, LaRue or ARMS will do the job very well.  Good gears are expensive for good reasons, budget should not be your only consideration.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Also Would M&A mount provide enough eye relief for a nose to charging handle cheek weld or close to it?  

No.  With the Simmons 1.5x5x20 the Larue SPR barely allows nose to charging handle with the mount all the way forward on the receiver and the scope all the way forward in the rings.

The M&A mount looks like the scope would be 1 1/2 to 2" further to the rear so there will be no nose to the charging handle shooting.

eta:
Here is a picture of the Simmons in a LaRue SPR. Notice how far forward the scope has to be for nose to the charging handle shooting:

The M&A mount would force the scope too far back.

If you get a LaRue, the SPR EER (extended eye relief) would be a better choice. You could mount the scope close to center in the mount and mount the LaRue to the rear of the receiver. It would be a equal setup compared to the standard SPR for now, but opens up many more scopes you can mount if you later upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also Would M&A mount provide enough eye relief for a nose to charging handle cheek weld or close to it?  

No.  With the Simmons 1.5x5x20 the Larue SPR barely allows nose to charging handle with the mount all the way forward on the receiver and the scope all the way forward in the rings.

The M&A mount looks like the scope would be 1 1/2 to 2" further to the rear so there will be no nose to the charging handle shooting.

eta:
Here is a picture of the Simmons in a LaRue SPR. Notice how far forward the scope has to be for nose to the charging handle shooting:
i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/robert2011/simmonsLR.jpg

The M&A mount would force the scope too far back.

If you get a LaRue, the SPR EER (extended eye relief) would be a better choice. You could mount the scope close to center in the mount and mount the LaRue to the rear of the receiver. It would be a equal setup compared to the standard SPR for now, but opens up many more scopes you can mount if you later upgrade.

Thanks Robert!   The info I was looking for!     Now I need just need to find a good price on a Larue SPR EER.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top