Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:12:24 PM EDT
Does any one run this set up? I have mine on order RRA elite tachtical and was going to switch the tach handle for the Dominator mount. I am wondering how this set up works?

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It works great....it's specifically designed for the EOTech.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,

Does the dominator mount stay rock solid with no shift of POI?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get a LaRue Eotech mount for less. You will have to get a separate BUIS, but the LaRue is a far better set-up with a better co-witness and quick detach ability with return to zero.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can get a LaRue Eotech mount for less. You will have to get a separate BUIS

Not true...  The Dominator goes on sale frequently for around $110 plus shipping.  Plus, since the Dominator does come with it's own BUIS as you mentioned, it's a better deal IF all you need is to raise your EOTech over your irons.

but the LaRue is a far better set-up

Because it says LaRue on it?  Whether or not LaRue is a better choice than the RRA depends COMPLETELY on each person's individual needs.

with a better co-witness

That's just silly.  They both raise the EOTech to put the front sights in the lower third.  I actually thought the Larue was a bit TOO low, with the front sight appearing to be in the lower FOURTH.  That's why RRA didn't make the Gen2 taller to clear M4 handguards.  In their opinion, that put the irons TOO low, so they moved the rear sight back.

quick detach ability with return to zero.

THAT, along with that little piece of picatinny at the back is the ONLY thing extra that LaRue has going for it, and even then ONLY if you NEED them.  If you want QD for your EOTech, then the LaRue is better than the Dominator, period.  If you own night vision that you plan to use with your EOTech, then again, the Dominator is not for you.  Also, if you still prefer folding rear sights with your lower third co-witness (but then why bother with raising the EOTech?) again, the LaRue gives you that option, while the Dominator leaves you hanging.

BUT if all you want to do is raise your EOTech high enough to put your A2 rear sight in the lower third of your EOTech's window, and you have no need to QUICKLY remove or reattach your EOTech, then the Dominator is an economical, although not "high speed, low drag" completely viable product for that use.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true...  The Dominator goes on sale frequently for around $110 plus shipping.  Plus, since the Dominator does come with it's own BUIS as you mentioned, it's a better deal IF all you need is to raise your EOTech over your irons.

I have only seen the newer version going for $150

Because it says LaRue on it?  Whether or not LaRue is a better choice than the RRA depends COMPLETELY on each person's individual needs.

Because of its modularity, QD capability, and the overall quality and execution of its design.

with a better co-witness

That's just silly.  They both raise the EOTech to put the front sights in the lower third.  I actually thought the Larue was a bit TOO low, with the front sight appearing to be in the lower FOURTH.  That's why RRA didn't make the Gen2 taller to clear M4 handguards.  In their opinion, that put the irons TOO low, so they moved the rear sight back.

Is that "just silly" because RRA says so?

THAT, along with that little piece of picatinny at the back is the ONLY thing extra that LaRue has going for it, and even then ONLY if you NEED them.  If you want QD for your EOTech, then the LaRue is better than the Dominator, period.  If you own night vision that you plan to use with your EOTech, then again, the Dominator is not for you.  Also, if you still prefer folding rear sights with your lower third co-witness (but then why bother with raising the EOTech?) again, the LaRue gives you that option, while the Dominator leaves you hanging.

If your Eotech is damaged to the point where you cannot see through its glass, your irons will be useless if using the Dominator.

BUT if all you want to do is raise your EOTech high enough to put your A2 rear sight in the lower third of your EOTech's window, and you have no need to QUICKLY remove or reattach your EOTech, then the Dominator is an economical, although not "high speed, low drag" completely viable product for that use.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have only seen the newer version going for $150
Again, $110 was a sale price, but ADCO lists them at $130, and I've seen other dealers selling between $128 - $135.  I agree at $150 the mount would lose a lot of appeal.

Because of its modularity, QD capability, and the overall quality and execution of its design.
Again though, 1 and 2 are only "better" if I need them (which is what my wife keeps telling me about my 4-wheel drive ) and even though LaRue is top notch in every way, disregarding FEATURES, I don't see where the actual QUALITY of the product itself is any "better".

with a better co-witness

Is that "just silly" because RRA says so?
No sir, I meant that it's "silly" to say that LaRue has a BETTER co-witness.  They're within .050" of each other, so any noticeable difference would be SLIGHT, and which one was actually "better" would be a subjective OPINION based on PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

If your Eotech is damaged to the point where you cannot see through its glass, your irons will be useless if using the Dominator.
True, and if that's a possibility for you, then once again, the LaRue is IT for you... But I'm having a REALLY hard time imagining that scenario, and since EOTechs don't come with QD as general issue to those who receive them, I'm going to guess that's a REALLY rare occurrance.

Listen, I'm not trying to argue, or be an a$$, I just disagree with the blanket statement that "LaRue is a BETTER choice for everyone, period".  LaRue is an EXCELLENT choice, and if you WANT or NEED any/all of the features LaRue offers, then buy one or two.  

BUT you have to open your mind and realize that not everyone is just like you, not everyone's needs are just like yours, not everyone will use their mount just like you do, and for those people who DO NOT WANT OR NEED the additional features LaRue has to offer, the RRA Dominator is at least as good of an option as the LaRue, and less expensive too.  

Peace, Joy, and Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I have ordered a RRA ENTRY TACTICAL from Pete at AR-15 sales. He will switch out the Tach handel at no charcg for the Dominator mount. I did email him to ask if it was the newer version Dominator and he replied that it was. So I do not have to buy the mount just trade for the cary handle that I would not use much anyway.

I have not purchased the Eo-tech. I thought I would shoot it with the irons for awile. This will be my first AR but I have been shooting for over 25years. I can see how this AR thing can become an addiction I have been reading and thinking about it non-stop for the last month or two.

I do not have night vision now but have been considering it. On the EO 550 models do you have to turn it on and go through the night vision modes before you can see the dot? Or does it remimber the last setting?

I cant wait to get my AR I allready ordered 2000 rounds of ammo and a 1/2 dozen mags.

Thanks for any and all imput.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Peace, Joy, and Merry Christmas! www.jobrelatedstuff.com/images/smilies/smiley_santa.gif

Agreed!

And Merry Christmas
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top