Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 6:35:26 PM EDT
I'm getting an ACOG TA31 next week and was wondering if I should mount a Doc Optic w/ J mount. I already have an ML2 but will put it on my other rifle if I get the J-Point. Whats your experience with the J-point? Is it worth it or should I just change between the TA31 and ML2 when I change for long range to CQB?

I know you should be able to use both eye open with the TA31 for CQB but from what I understand the eye relief is short (about 1.5 inches) which would make a J-point better for CQB. Before getting a J-point I wanted to know your opinion. Also if you know of better options.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
3-gunners often run both the Jpoint and TA11/TA31.

They buy a JP FF tube, and mount the jpoint at 45 degrees.... so they can engage longer range targets with the ACOG, and immediately transistion to quick close range targets using the jpoint with a quick twist of the wrist.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
A Jpoint is a Jpoint is a Jpoint, only one company and only one brand. The first two link shows the exact same product from two different dealers.

The third is only a mount.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Putting a J Point on a TA31 is like putting lipstick on a pig (except the TA31 isn't a pig, but it's still not the best idea).

The BAC feature allows quick close range work outdoors.  If you are going to be fighting indoors, keep the Aimpoint.  Wait until you try teh TA31 before spending money on some other add-on of dubious merit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats just it.If you are fighting indoors you dont need just a aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The dot height over bore and different zeros of the optics are an issue to consider.  It would help the limitations of a TA31 in close and having used both I would say its beter than the TA31 alone but still not as good as a 1-4X variable which retains the same aiming point for 1X and 4X modes.  I would rather spend more money on a Short Dot than a TA31 and Dr Optic combination.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top