Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 6:53:32 PM EDT
a ML2 (which model?) or Eotech (Model too?)  Pros and cons too?

Thanks for the advice in advance
Thanks,
szst8h  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Right now my end all be all optic is the M3 plus magnifier.  Once you shoot one or buy one you will know.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#2]
do a search

the optics in question along with this topic has been discussed almost every other week.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Right now my end all be all optic is the M3 plus magnifier.  Once you shoot one or buy one you will know.  

Really?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the EOTech. Here's why.

1.) Small center dot. More precise shooting at longer ranges.
2.) AA batteries. Easy to get and will stand up to the cold well (don't know about the Aimpoint, but I bet it would be OK too)
3.) No extra mount needed.
4.) Turns off automatically if I forget to do it.
5.) Cheaper, but this was just a bonus as I was already set on getting one based on the features listed above.
6.) More snag-free. The EOThingy is more streamlined and won't catch on as much stuff.
7.) Heavy Duty aluminum roll-bar. It'll take a hell of an impact and not hurt the site.
8.) Great customer service. EOTech is known for some of THE best customer service in the industry.
9.) Optional quality mounts are easy to find if you want them, and they come in the standard height and they also have ones that raise the EOTech up enough to clear the window of the sight except for the lower 1/3rd.
10.) Made in the USA

That's why I bought an EOTech 512. The only downside I've run into is the 1,100hr battery life seems pretty short compared to the ML3's 50,000hrs (that's right, 5.7 years on setting 7 out of 10)

Hope this helps,

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
an Aimpoint(which model?) or Eotech (Model too?)  Pros and cons too?

Thanks for the advice in advance
Thanks,
szst8h  

Well, They both suck, and they both rule.

Sorry, the best answer is to try both, buy one, think about the other, buy that one, build another rifle
to use the leftover optic, then start thinking about powered scopes. repeat as neccesary.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The EOTech has some human-interface characteristics which rule it out for serious use FOR ME:

1. No tactile ("touchy") way to determine if the optic is ("should be") powered ON.  On the Aimpoint, you can feel that the knob is turned all the way CW.

2. Ditto for "off."

3. To determine if the dot is the correct brightness ("visible") when you turn it on, you basically need to look through the optic to see the reticle, and then punch the "up" button until it becomes visible.  On the Aimpoint, you are pretty much assured you can see it if it's on the max or max-1 positions.

4. Window is square.  This is less effective to use as a huge rear "ghost ring" for my front sight if the optic's reticle is inactive.

That said, I've shot an EOTech 551 in 3Gun for almost a year and like it there.   Those are just things I've noticed putting it up against the M2 since then.

-z

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:50:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Only thing Zak missed above in regard to the Aimpoint over the EOTech is the "battery-life".

My Aimpoint is on for hours everyday, I replace the battery "once" a year.

Principle reason I sold my EO and purchased a second Aimpoint.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah, I spaced that.  You can leave an Aimpoint M2/M3 "on" 24/7 and still only replace the batteries rarely.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Oh yeah, I spaced that.  You can leave an Aimpoint M2/M3 "on" 24/7 and still only replace the batteries rarely.

I already covered it right below my list

I can't argue against the Aimpoint on that.

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top