Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 12:57:02 AM EDT
Which is better, more desireable? I noticed the price diff is typically $50+, so what are the pros and cons of each?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Who's mount?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#2]
what's your favorite?

I was looking at LaRue, GGG, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Where do you want the optic to sit on your receiver? The only place you need a cantilever to mount a scope is directly over the barrel nut. Or if you are going to mount a PVS-14 or maybe a 3x magnifier behind it.

LaRue is my choice for mounts--by far.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
As Jack just said, unless you're putting a magnifier or a NVD behind it, just stick with the straight mount.

LaRue is my favorite also.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, unless you specifically need it thrust forward for room, just get the standard mount. My LaRue just got in on Thursday and I finally got my M3 mounted. It's quite spiffy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the cantilever mount because the further you have the optic foward the less "tube effect" you get with your sight picture.  I also like to have a little distance from the BUIS.   Just man-up on the screws and use blue loc-tite on the base.    
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
If you run a fixed BUIS, like the LMT or LaRue, the cantilever may come in handy as it will allow you to flip the optic covers down without hitting the rear BUIS.

The new LaRue Aimpoint mount pushes the sight as far forward as possible without being a cantilever. Its great for most people, and I've heard its far enough forward to allow clearance for the optic covers.

Pushing it forward on a cantilever can also affect balance, pushing the weight forward. Depends on how you like it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you run a fixed BUIS, like the LMT or LaRue, the cantilever may come in handy as it will allow you to flip the optic covers down without hitting the rear BUIS.

The new LaRue Aimpoint mount pushes the sight as far forward as possible without being a cantilever. Its great for most people, and I've heard its far enough forward to allow clearance for the optic covers.

Pushing it forward on a cantilever can also affect balance, pushing the weight forward. Depends on how you like it.

I'm running with a LMT BUIS and the ARMS cantilever spacer, and its a great set-up.  Scope covers flip flat on the rails and the weight distribution is handled with a tango down broom stick in the middle of the foward rail.  If this weren't an issued rifle, and I hadn't already bought the LMT BUIS, I would get the Rock River upper with the dedicated rear sight assembly with rail.  But since I bought the LMT, I'll just get a STD flat top receiver in the future.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm running with a LMT BUIS and the ARMS cantilever spacer, and its a great set-up.  Scope covers flip flat on the rails and the weight distribution is handled with a tango down broom stick in the middle of the foward rail.  If this weren't an issued rifle, and I hadn't already bought the LMT BUIS, I would get the Rock River upper with the dedicated rear sight assembly with rail.  But since I bought the LMT, I'll just get a STD flat top receiver in the future.  

The Rock River upper with the dedicated rear sight is the UTE. Here is one by usmc03, wearing the  LaRue Aimpoint mount. You can see how the covers clear the rear sight.

My old Dissipator wearing an LMT and the ARMS 22M68 with the cantilever spacer.

A dated picture of my M4 (doesn't look quite like this anymore ) Wearing the LaRue cantilever and a Troy BUIS.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought larue cantilever and mounted my M2 over the delta ring. However, after using it awhile I found the rifle balanced A LOT better with it moved back on the rail. So now I would be better served with a standard mount, but kept the cantilever because I didn't want to mess with trading it and like the battery compartment--of course larue has fixed that problem on the new standard mount as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, now which Larue mount will work with my YHM flip sights?

This one? (which I prefer due to the lower profile)

CLICK HERE

or this one? (higher mount than above)

CLICK HERE

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Either will work, assuming you don't try to mount the BUIS under the Aimpoint. The difference in height will determine how the irons and the dot co-witness. The higher one is designed for mounting directly to a flat top and will put the dot above the irons, and the irons in the lower 1/3 of the optic window. The lower one is really made for mounting on a rail that will put the mount higher then a standard rail. Like the hump on a RAS II, or on an ARMS Swan rail. It may or may not work directly on the flat top, but I haven't tried one that way. Somebody will be along to clarify that I'm sure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Does LT make spacers I could use under that lower mount?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why not just get the higher one?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No. At least not that I'm aware of. But I'm not sure why they would.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top