Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 4:22:18 PM EDT
Bushmaster has a mount called A.R.M.S. #39A2 Bi-Level Rail which mounts on M16A1 and A2.

Do you think it will fit my plain old Bushmaster AR-15 carbine with an A2 handle.  I notice the handle only has a single hole, which is at the top.

I'm concerned that the mount may have a second bolt which goes in the front part of the handle.

Thanks,

Bill
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Bill,

The ARMS 39A2 is designed specifically for the A2 rifles and carbines.  I have one on my Bushy A2 Carbine and it is great.  Rock solid, no wobble, absolute cowitness, even returns very close to zero when removed.  It attaches to the top of the handle through the hole in the handle and there is also another clamp on the front that attaches to the front of the carry handle.  If you are looking for a solid and robust mount so you can put an optic out front over the handguards the ARMS 39 is a great choice.

Sarge

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Sarge, thanks so much for your kind reply!

While looking at pictures, I saw two bolts on the ARMS 39, so just assumed that two holes were required in the A2 handle.

Thanks to you, it is clear that the forward bolt is for a clamp, and does not require a second hole in the handle.

The high-priced 39A2 looked like an excellent choice.  I'm very pleased to see your endorsement!

I have a $30 Red Dot from Gander Mountain.  I thought it would be fun to try it out, just playing around.

Later, I'll shoot for an Eotech or Aimpoint.  I hope both of these will be OK with the 39A2.

Thanks for taking the time to describe the mount, Sarge.

It is very much appreciated.

Bill

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Here's what it looks like attached.  Not an up close pic but decent enough to get the idea.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, jadams951.  Looks like it will be a winner.

Now we have to decide between the Aimpoint and EOTech.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the ARMS 39A2 and Eotech 512 installed just fine.

I was surprised to learn that you cannot co-witness with this combination on my Bushmaster AR-15.

I can't even see the front iron sights while looking through the Eotech 512.

On another message thread, they advised me that you cannot co-witness with this combination.

Thanks for your help,

Bill
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The Aimpoints have been in the U.S. Armed Forces inventory for a while and IIRC the #39 was designed a while back specifically for the Aimpoints. The EOTech is a much more recent addition to Armed Forces inventories. The consolation is that in true ARFCOM fashion you have a Dot sight already for your next AR in an A3 configuration and all you have to do now is get an Aimpoint to go with the A2 upper/ ARMS#39.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Kihn.  his
Co-witness sounded like a good concept, but guess it can't be in my configuration.

Too bad it is not recommended to mount the Eotech above the A2 handle.  That is much more convenient for me, but am told it is too far away from the bore axis.

Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
It's unfortunate that there is not a way to reconcile the Sight with a mount that would allow you to co-witness with the #39 set up. Have a #39 with an Aimpoint and it is indeed a very nice combo- fast! And have come to really appreciate the forward mounted optic with this set up.

Haven't gotten around to getting an EOTech (yet!) but they are certainly held in high regard around here and look forward to owning one at some point in the future.

Too bad it is not recommended to mount the Eotech above the A2 handle. That is much more convenient for me, but am told it is too far away from the bore axis.

It's not just the EOTech, that's true of pretty much any scope that is mounted to the handle. Just doesn't lend itself very well to a good cheek weld and a lesser degree of repeatability for mounting the firearm to utilize the sight.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top