Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:29:15 PM EDT
I am very strongly considering purchasing an EOTech optic package and a Rock River Dominator mount.  Is this a good setup to use?  One of the reasons I ask is that a majority of the pictures of M4's that I see posted with optics typically have the optic mounted further up the rifle then the BUIS.  The Dominator mount seems to put the optic much further to the rear of the flat-top.  What is the traditional placement of EOTech sights, how far forward are they normally put?  Thanks and sorry for the stupid question.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You can put it pretty much anywhere you want. It's non-parralax, so you don't have to worry about eye relief distance. The reason people mount it higher is to take some of the front post out of the sight picture, but it's not totally necessary the post blurs out and all but disappears when you focus on the target.

If Hunt101 would load up for me, I'd post some pics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Like Wombat said, you can mount the eotech anywhere you prefer on the rail.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Before I bought the RRA Dominator I wasn't really happy with my EOTech.  For me, the front sight got in the way of and interfered with the reticule.  The Dominator raises the EOTech up higher above the front sight making it easier for me to see the reticule.  I found that www.adcofirearms.com had the best price for the Dominator.  $130 + $4 shipping.

PS I know that doesn't really answer your question but I thought it might be helpfull if you were thinking about buying the EOTech and Dominator.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Before I bought the RRA Dominator I wasn't really happy with my EOTech.  For me, the front sight got in the way of and interfered with the reticule.  The Dominator raises the EOTech up higher above the front sight making it easier for me to see the reticule.  I found that www.adcofirearms.com had the best price for the Dominator.  $130 + $4 shipping.

PS I know that doesn't really answer your question but I thought it might be helpfull if you were thinking about buying the EOTech and Dominator.

I have to agree with CompGeek The Dom seems to fit me just right, and as a BUIS it seems more sturdy than some of the flip ups. I was told that the DEA now has the Dom mount on thier RR's due to agents accidently hitting the NV button on thier EOtechs when flipping up the BUIS that they had before. In case your wondering hit the NV button and with out having some sort of NVD on and you  can't see the dot anymore.

Some could argue that if the EOtech is working why are they filpping up thier BUIS , don't know. What I do konw is, at least for me I like haveing them both going just in case something fails.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
LaRue.  That is only way to do it right.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
LaRue.  That is only way to do it right.

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I put a LaRue on mine yesterday. It is much better than it was mounted direct to the flat top. I decided against the Dominator because I didn't want the rear sight in my field of view. I went with the folding Troy BUIS instead.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I put a LaRue on mine yesterday. It is much better than it was mounted direct to the flat top. I decided against the Dominator because I didn't want the rear sight in my field of view. I went with the folding Troy BUIS instead.

That is exactly what I am running and I love the setup.  I used to run the Dominator, but the LT is just so much better.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I must be in the minority, but I like it right on the flat top, with a number 40 behind it.  

I like the reticle perched right on top of the fron sight post.  

That's the cool thing about ARs though...there's enough stuff out there to accomodate pretty much anything.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I must be in the minority, but I like it right on the flat top, with a number 40 behind it.  

That's the cool thing about ARs though...there's enough stuff out there to accomodate pretty much anything.  

Same here, except I have a GG&G MAD instead of the ARMS40.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am very strongly considering purchasing an EOTech optic package and a Rock River Dominator mount.  Is this a good setup to use?  One of the reasons I ask is that a majority of the pictures of M4's that I see posted with optics typically have the optic mounted further up the rifle then the BUIS.  The Dominator mount seems to put the optic much further to the rear of the flat-top.  What is the traditional placement of EOTech sights, how far forward are they normally put?  Thanks and sorry for the stupid question.

Buy one, I strongly suggest it. Most of the members here know how much I am involved with mine. In fact I am starting to like it better than my wife. (only kidding to a degree). It will be a little fuzzy at first, but work with it, shoot until you are totally trained and adjusted to the one great EOTech Optics.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Some pics of my EOTEch set up.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, except I have a GG&G MAD instead of the ARMS40.

I also have the GG&G MAD, you want to hear something freaky about the MAD. This is a true story that happened 3 weeks ago. I bought the MAD and mounted it (keep in mind I never sighted the MAD in). Then the EOTech and mounted that on a flat top. went to the range and shot the crap out of the M4 using strickly the EOTech, having a blast with it, sighting it in at 100 yards, hits everything bullseye, sight the EO at 50 great, bullseye.

So finally weeks go buy and I go to the range and this Marine out on leave sees my EOTech and wants to shoot it, so he does. He's checking out the M4 he notices the MAD and asks if he could shut down the EO, so he does and flips up the MAD and at that time I say I mounted the MAD and never sighted it in so I don't know where it shoots, so he gets down on his kness and places the barrel in the opening of the lattice part of the port and says how many yards is that 2 liter Pepsi bottle. I say it is set at 100 yards but I don't know who owns it, so he yells at the few of us there, who owns that bottle? No one replies so he says its mine.

So he fires it using the irons first shot. Bam, hits the bottle over. So now just the round of the bottle is shown so he fires at that one round. So finally cease fire we all go down range him and I go right to the Pepsi bottle and look. What do we see?

One hole in the center of the bottle and one hole almost center to the bottom. He looks at me and says, don't touch the MAD sight adjustments, it's there at 100 yards. Man that was easy, so to this day it's sighted in at 100 yards.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top