Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:57:38 AM EDT
I've thinking about getting into night vision.  With all the products out there I'm not sure really what I want/need.  GenI, GenII, w/ IR, w/o IR, monocular, binocular, rifle mount head mount?  I need some direction.  I want night vision for recreation, low light shooting, and SHTF.  I like the head mounted units. What are the advantages to a monocular system opposed to a googles?  HELP!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
GEN III Rocks, I have taken PVS 7 goggles down to the local Police Station and shown the Chief and other offices on duty just what they are missing if the force does not have GEN III or better NV.  The big issue it the higher the generation, the better the resolution and low light capabilities.  The drawback to Gen III is the price.  My advice get the best you can afford as a $99 dollar unit from Harbor Frieght is not going to satisfy you like a PVS 7 but the PVS 7 will set you back a few car payments at least.  
The nice thing about even the low cost units is it opens up the world of Infrared lighting to you.  Thats a real trip and you can build an IR illuminator with IR LEDs and lenses.

Have fun,
The Army Rules the Night.
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thats a real trip and you can build an IR illuminator with IR LEDs and lenses.

Have fun,
The Army Rules the Night.
Very Respectfully,
David

Hehehehe......even a television remote control works as an illuminator for my M.U.M.........
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top