Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 8:06:29 AM EDT
I hav efinally decided to go ahead and get an optic, and decided on an EOTech, but now I need to know what the plusses and minuses are of the N battery versus AA battery versions.   I did look in the FAQ but the link is dead.

The AA battery version looks to be longer; will it fit on the top rail with a BUIS installed behind it?  I have no fore-rail and have only the stock handguard and ring.  Will this cause any problems?

How about battery life?  Cost of batteries?  Any other considerations I am missing?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]
The only advantage I see with the N is it's size and weight (it's smaller than the AA model)

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the opinions!  I think I will go with the AA model if in fact it will fit on an A3 upper with a BUIS behind it , and not hang over and run into the handguards.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The N models have had problems with heat from sitting in cars to long. The AA models have not.

The AA model will fit on the A3 rail and yes a Buis will fit. I don't think the LMT CCH Buis will fit but all the others should.

I perfer the AA models as the batteries last several hundred more hours.

IIRC, the N-battery models (511/551) also have problems in the complete opposite conditions also. I've heard that they don't stand up really well to the cold (a deal breaker for me. I like shooting in the winter because the snow is a reactive target at longer ranges and you can tell where you're hitting)

I got the 512 (I don't plan on getting NV) but haven't had a chance to go through a winter with it yet since I got it for my B-day in April.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I would get the AA model mainly cause the batteries are way cheaper and can be found anywhere
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have my AA unit mounted directly onto the flat top of my Colt Carbine just a hair short of touching the hand guards, and there's no problem using the ARMS buis, or operating the rifle. Buying that Eotech with the N battery  sure seems like a high price to pay to save an inch!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top