Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 10:37:39 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone has ever used Rain X or similar type product on and EOtech to keep rain and such off the viewing area. My concern would be that  the alcohol or another chemical in the solution would harm the seal around the glass.  What do you  think ?

ETA : I just got my EOtech recently so it has yet to see any rain/snow I'm sure some of the deployed guys have dealt with this issue, do the EOtechs already have some type of coating or does the weather not really effect it that much?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only used mine once while it was starting to rain and it wasn't really a problem using it. I'm not sure if the rain x would hurt the lens or not though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't hurt it any that I could tell, but it really doesn't help.

I have only had my EOTech fog up a couple of times, and that has been through lots of deployments in varying weather conditions and lots of range sessions. Rain actually hasn't seemed to bother it. The only notable fogging incident I can recall is one time when we hit an overheated and very humid apartment, after coming in from a lengthy hike in about dry 40 degree air. Even though it fogged up, I could still see the reticle and it worked fairly well as an occluded-eye system. I have significantly more problems with my protective eyewear fogging up, to the extent where I basically consider the "clear eyes" to be expendable for operational stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I do know this... When I checked on using rainx on a motorcycle windshield, I was told it would damage plastic.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had enough bad luck with it on a windshield. I would never put it on a precision optic.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top