Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2005 6:50:42 PM EDT
I have a Colt A2 Sporter Gov't profile. I would like to convert the carry handle to a flat top so I will have a better cheek weld to the stock.  Will the front sight post interfere with sight picture and/or will I need risers added to the scope bases ?

Unsure of the outcome and am hesitant about purchasing an upper.

Thanks for your comments.

Out
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It might give a shadow at lower powers, but at higher powers, the scope usually sees through the FSB.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
what mongo said.

usually you would have to mount the powered scope up a little to get a good check rest with the scope so it would help.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Generally, Anything above 4X will cause the FSB to disappear.  On a bright sunny day, mine shows up a little through my TA11 but on my Vari-X III, it is not noticeable once I pass the 4X setting.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If you put the scope directly on the flattop with medium or even high rings, it will be too low.  The FSB is not the problem, the scope is just too low for good cheek weld.  The AR-15 has the barrel more inline with the stock than typical hunting rifles.  

I prefer the Armalite scope mount, avail in 1" and 30mm versions.  It puts the centerline of the scope at the same height above the bore as the iron sights on A2 rifles.  Also, it has a nice forward offset so that you can get the proper eye relief with most scopes.  Bring a one piece design, I like the KISS design.  It is solid and simple.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with all said.
Why convert? By the time you get done you are half way or better to haveing a second upper (price wise)
If you convert you have a different type of rifle and some spare parts you can't use unless you spend more $. If you set up a second upper you have the use of two distinct seperate rifles (almost) that each will handle certain types of shooting better that the other. Of course you will shortly feel the need for a second lower and so it goes
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Will the front sight post interfere with sight picture and/or will I need risers added to the scope bases ?

yes
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top