Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 1:40:33 PM EDT
I've been thinking about a compact ACOG for use on a carry handle rifle.  

My question: Does the optic seem to sit high when sighting?  

Trying to imagine using the optic...I know how my eye lines up behind the fixed sights and, as I understand, the optic sits above the rear sight so the irons can be used below the optic while it is mounted.  Does this turn your normal iron sight cheek weld into a chin weld while using the optic?

Also, how is the "tunnel" for use with the irons?  Does it allow an unobstructed view to the front sight or does it restrict your view at all (ie smaller than the aperture or dependent on getting exact alignment)?

I wish I had one to look at and try before shelling out the cash...so I'm hoping to get some feedback here.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2x amber triangle acog on an A2, so I can answer what you want.

First off, you will not have a chin weld. Yes, the cheek weld is lower, but its easy to learn, and not very bad at all. It allows for a rather nice heads up shooting stance.

Secondly, the tunnel, IMHO, seems to be the same size as the large A2 apeture, but not smaller. When you use the irons with both eyes open, you have no problems seeing what you want. There are pics of this setup, search the archive forum for compact acog, you will find them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I realize that what I'm about to say is blasphemous, but I actually prefer the mini-ACOG on a carry handle rather than directly mounted on a flattop. The cheekweld is fine for me, and transitions to irons are lightning fast.

as opposed to

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I realize that what I'm about to say is blasphemous, but I actually prefer the mini-ACOG on a carry handle rather than directly mounted on a flattop. The cheekweld is fine for me, and transitions to irons are lightning fast.

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6920_Right.JPG

as opposed to

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_3.JPG

Its not blasphemous, I prefer a carry handle mount as well. I had a LaRue, which was great, but the carry handle provides instant irons, which the others cannot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
2x has a tight eye relief. 2x has ample eye relief and magnification.

I didn't understand that one.  Did you mean 3x for tight?  That I would +1.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
2x has a tight eye relief. 2x has ample eye relief and magnification.

I didn't understand that one.  Did you mean 3x for tight?  That I would +1.  

Yea, he misstyped. The 3x is the bad one for a handle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone for the info.  It seems to me that this is the best option in optics for the carryhandle mount.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for the info.  It seems to me that this is the best option in optics for the carryhandle mount.  Thanks!

It is the best one. You will like it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]
It's up high, but not "too" high.

The tunnel is useable for the irons.

Overall, great optic.

BTW - 75 yard zero is the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My M4gery resembles your remark.  I like them on carry handles.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
This is a combination that I finally tried with an adjustable stock.  It really made a big difference to use it with the stock in one click from my usual position, all the way out.  Since it is a SBR I don't mind a bit to make the envelope smaller and for me it makes the carry handle mini ACOG that much easier to use.

A nice combination, and even though I have a Battlegrip on the weapon to carry spare batteries when I had an Eotech on it, I still like the idea of not being dependent on batteries with the ACOG.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I think that compact acogs are the only scope that works great on carry handles.I love mine.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#15]
This topic raises a tough question for me.  Would I like a full-size ACOG mounted on my flattop, or a compact ACOG mounted on the detachable carry handle?  I doubt I'll have an opportunity to try either setup around here.  My only ACOG experience was a friend's TA11 mounted on his carry handle.  I'm not too picky about cheek welds, so for me it worked fine.

What are the pros/cons of a carry handle-mounted compact versus a flattop-mounted full-size?  I imagine price and weight are the most obvious differences, along with the immediate availability of the irons in the former setup.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top