Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 1:57:48 PM EDT
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this. I want to mount an aimpoint on my A2, I have the YHM handguard on it, would the gooseneck mount be high enough to co witness my irons?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you asking about a cantilever mount to attach to the YHM handguards, or a gooseneck to mount to the carry handle?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Opps sorry, cantilever I mean.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Are your YHM handguards free floating or 2 piece?

I -think- YHM handguards are the same height as the receiver's rail (someone else could confirm that), so you could use any normal Aimpoint mount (LaRue, ARMS, etc.).

But if you have a 2 piece handguard it might not be the best to mount an optic to it, any movement in the rail and you lose your zero.  My YHM 2 piece was pretty tight, but there was some play when pushing or twisting them so I wouldn't mount an optic to it.

On the other hand, if they are free floating you are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
They are free floated. So the standard cantilever mount will co witness with the A2 carry handle?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are your YHM handguards free floating or 2 piece?

I -think- YHM handguards are the same height as the receiver's rail (someone else could confirm that), so you could use any normal Aimpoint mount (LaRue, ARMS, etc.).

But if you have a 2 piece handguard it might not be the best to mount an optic to it, any movement in the rail and you lose your zero.  My YHM 2 piece was pretty tight, but there was some play when pushing or twisting them so I wouldn't mount an optic to it.

I agree totally with this.  I have the 2-piece handguards and although they are pretty solid, I wouldn't mount an optic to it.   As far as the height on the rails, here is a pic of the rails and the flattop

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking dog, and gun. I don't have the detachable carry handle though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They are free floated. So the standard cantilever mount will co witness with the A2 carry handle?

What do you mean when you say "standard cantilever mount"?  

The LaRue and ARMS cantilever mounts will work for you, they will make it so that the iron sights show in the lower third of the Aimpoint's window.

If the standard mount you are talking about is that cantilever mount with the hex nut tightening it to the rail, I am not sure of the height, but I assume it will cowitness as well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, the point is mute, I ordered a CMT upper reciever from C4iGrant tonight. Thanks for all the input guys.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm curious, aren't the KAC M4 and M5 RAS non-free float?  If that is the case, why does the military mount optics on them.  I have seen photos with Aimpoints mounted on the KAC RAS.  This is not a flame, I am just curious.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm curious, aren't the KAC M4 and M5 RAS non-free float?  If that is the case, why does the military mount optics on them.  I have seen photos with Aimpoints mounted on the KAC RAS.  This is not a flame, I am just curious.

To be honest, I've never seen optics mounted on KAC's in military photos.  Most of the time when I see a a mil. photo with a KAC it will be on an A4 with flat top.

Like mentioned above, at close range the loss of zero won't hurt you too much, but it's not something I would want to risk.  The M5 is also VERY expensive and high quality, while the YHM (altho I like them a LOT) aren't up to that level IMO.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top