Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 6:39:32 AM EDT
Before I get flamed I have been working with the eyepatch pirate glasses (left eye blacked out) and have been not been getting great results so far.  So if all you are going to say to me is train your right eye, then please dont post here.  

I have flat top upper with the m81 handguards and would like a good optic/mount under $700 that would be ok for a good varmit rifle out to 250 yards and ok for a quick target acquistion also...  Since Im left eye dominant I have to lean over the rifle alot more than a normal RH shooter so any ideas as to good mounting positions (ie on the rail system or upper or both)?  I have to lean pretty hard with iron sights and have gotten used to it.  Any pictures would be a great help also.  

Would it be better to go along the lines of an eotech and classic hunting scope?  Instead of relying just on one.  My question about going that route is do I have to resight each one in when i change them out? Id definitly do a lever mounts to change them out quick.  Im new to optic shooting all together.  I wouldnt mind having 2 scopes but dont want to resight each one in once I switch them out.

Thanks in advance from a newbie who cant close his left eye...

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a bad right eye, so I shoot w/ the left one. It has become over the years my dominate eye.

I shoot left handed, both eyes open.

Aimpoints or EOTechs both worked well for me in this manner.

BTW, having your strong right hand as the support hand ain't such a bad deal, plenty of DCM/CMP HP shooters shoot this this way. (leaning over to use your good eye ain't that practical or consistent)

Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm right handed but left eye dominant also.  I use my right eye with rifles but my left eye gets tired from closing it for long periods of time.  I also shoot matches where keeping my left eye open with my 1.1x scope will help me see targets faster but I can't do it very well becasue of the cross dominance and the small magnification but I can keep both eyes open with red dots and no magnification.

What I ended up doing is using those Butler Creek flip up scope covers and turn the eye piece cover so it covers my left eye when it's flipped open while I look through the scope with my right eye.  The left eye is perfectly covered but when I need to look left or right, I stay in that position and just move my eyes.  I'm still trying to train myselft to keep both eyes open because I've closed my left eye for years.  No more stress on the left eye.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What I ended up doing is using those Butler Creek flip up scope covers and turn the eye piece cover so it covers my left eye when it's flipped open while I look through the scope with my right eye.  The left eye is perfectly covered but when I need to look left or right, I stay in that position and just move my eyes.  I'm still trying to train myselft to keep both eyes open because I've closed my left eye for years.  No more stress on the left eye.

I would have never thought of that... sounds pretty simple and gets the job done.  Thanks for the idea.  I will have to try that with my nikon on my 10/22 this weekend.  Thanks.

Zack
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the little opaque dots for your shooting glasses that Browning sells. (Magic Dots) You put them on your glasses so that they obscure the vision of your cross dominant eye, but since they are small, they obscure only the area right over the sights when you are in the shooting position, leaving you lots of "other" vision.  They are a godsend for shotgun shooting, and I am liking them more an more for rifle shooting, too, because they let me keep my dominant left eye open, which greatly reduces fatigue.  They should let you use most any optic setup you like.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like the little opaque dots for your shooting glasses that Browning sells. (Magic Dots) You put them on your glasses so that they obscure the vision of your cross dominant eye, but since they are small, they obscure only the area right over the sights when you are in the shooting position, leaving you lots of "other" vision.  They are a godsend for shotgun shooting, and I am liking them more an more for rifle shooting, too, because they let me keep my dominant left eye open, which greatly reduces fatigue.  They should let you use most any optic setup you like.

Thanks i will have to try some of those too...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm right handed but left eye dominant also.  I use my right eye with rifles but my left eye gets tired from closing it for long periods of time.  I also shoot matches where keeping my left eye open with my 1.1x scope will help me see targets faster but I can't do it very well becasue of the cross dominance and the small magnification but I can keep both eyes open with red dots and no magnification.

Very very creative!!!

Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top