BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 12:31:40 PM EDT
For light transmision and concelement.
What would be better?
Kill Flash says like %10 loss what about a 4 inch sun shade? Got to lose some lost light there?
kill flash should be best for concelement but would a sun shade help as well?

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#1]
get both
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Sun shade has no loss of light transmission and because it can stop stray light from entering the tube it can actually improve sight picture in bright conditions.  I hate killflash as I thnk the 10% LOSS IS MORE LIKE 20% PERCEIVED LOSS in low light conditions.  I say sunshade.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the ARD/honeycomb/kill flash for the Aimpoint.  The loss of light transmission isn't noticeable to me with both eyes open, and actually helps contrast the dot against the background in very bright conditions.  On magnified optics in low-light conditions, the degraded light transmission caused by the ARD can be quite a handicap.  The effect seems worse to me as magnification goes up and ambient lighting goes down (also due to smaller exit pupils at higher magnification). YMMV.

-Randy
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for the input.
So for tactical use would you say the kill flash for concealment is out wieghed by loss of light transmition?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks guys for the input.
So for tactical use would you say the kill flash for concealment is out wieghed by loss of light transmition?  

Back at cha:

On a two way range - would it be:

Better if the other party had less of a chance of catching the glint off of your optic?
Worse if the other party had less of a chance of catching the glint off of your optic?
Make no difference if the other party caught the glint off of your optic?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top