Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2005 5:44:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Man....I don't know if I should Love you or hate you.......
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]

The Aimpoint Magnifer is important to us EOTech owners just like it is to Aimpoint owners (maybe more). Remember that the EOTech dot is a 1/3 MOA so magnify it X 3 and you still get a 1 MOA dot!

When you magnify both the dot and its surroundings, do you not get the same 1/3 moa dot? just looks bigger on a magnified view!

I mean does it`s relative size(MOA) stay the same as the targets, when both are magnified?

Just asking as what do I know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Round peg, square hole.

Buy an Aimpoint

That's cool. Does it clear the #40A2 with any other setup, like just tall LaRue mount?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Oooooh, I wanna be on the beta test program!!!  Please O Please O Pleeeeeeeease!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Round peg, square hole.

Buy an Aimpoint

That's cool. Does it clear the #40A2 with any other setup, like just tall LaRue mount?

I am certain that it will clear the following BUIS's:

#40L
TROY
KAC

C4

so the notch of the #40 makes a diffrence here?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The human eye cannot cannot see anything smaller than a 1 MOA dot

I was wondering if this is true and found this: Limit to Human Vision & its Effect on Optimum Digital Image Resolution

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:36:20 AM EDT
[#11]
just like the learning channel. thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:39:42 AM EDT
[#12]
How is this LaRue mount different from the one you have ben selling for the last few months?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How is this LaRue mount different from the one you have ben selling for the last few months?

The base mount is the same. The new mount is just the part that attaches the maginifier to the base mount. (The one that lifts up the EOTech a little bit)

Im retarted, nevermind
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Aimpoint Magnifer is important to us EOTech owners just like it is to Aimpoint owners (maybe more). Remember that the EOTech dot is a 1/3 MOA so magnify it X 3 and you still get a 1 MOA dot!

When you magnify both the dot and its surroundings, do you not get the same 1/3 moa dot? just looks bigger on a magnified view!

I mean does it`s relative size(MOA) stay the same as the targets, when both are magnified?

The EOTech dot is a 1/3 MOA. The human eye cannot cannot see anything smaller than a 1 MOA dot (so we cannot tell that it is smaller than 1 MOA). When you magnify the dot then you CAN tell it is smaller than 1 MOA....

C4

Wouldn't that actually be like haveing a retical on the first focal plan? For example, my IOR has an MP8 retical, at 4 power the distance between the mill marks is one mill(not counting the 1/2 mil marks), when you increase the power the relation between the mil marks stays the same, it's still one mil. The thinkness of the mill lines stays the same as well, eventhough they appear thicker to the eye. So the dot would still cover 1/3 MOA even at 3x magnification IF it would be like having a first focal plan retical, would it not? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You would be magnifying the dot and the surrounding area so you would not realize that the dot got larger  (say if the dot was a 1MOA and would then be a 3 MOA)...

C4

I'm not explaining this right I don't think.
Hang on and I'll see if I can find a better explination of what I'm talking about.

Almost to the bottom of this page

There are essentially two places to put the reticle in a riflescope. They can either be in the first, or second focal plane. On scopes that use variable power, when the reticle is in he first focal plane, the reticle appears to change size as the power is changed. The more power the bigger the reticle, and vice-versa. Scopes using that design are typically USO, Schmidt Bender, Zeiss, etc. It is as a general rule more typical of European scopes. One of the things it allows you to do is range using the reticle at any power. There are other advantages depending on your point of view, but that is an article in and of itself. When a reticle is in the second focal plane, the size of the reticle appears static. I say appears in both cases because the reticle in fact never changes size, it is all in how we see it, based on the construction of the scope.

In the above pic, you placed the magnifier behind the dot sight, the glass on the dot sight would be the first focal plan, the magnifier being behind the optic would be the second focal plan, so while it appears the dot is bigger, it is not. If you put the magnifier in front of the optic, you would see no increase in the size of the dot, because the dot would be on the second focal plan.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I was really looking forward to this set up!  After seeing it, my nose-to-charging handle shooting style may not survive contact with the magnifier.    What is the eye relief for the magnifier?

Thanks,
-Randy
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Round peg, square hole.

Buy an Aimpoint

Looks like this setup is just begging to be put on an MRP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Any word on what the Minimum Advertised Price or even MSRP is gonna be on the magnifier?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The EOTech dot is a 1/3 MOA. The human eye cannot cannot see anything smaller than a 1 MOA dot (so we cannot tell that it is smaller than 1 MOA). When you magnify the dot then you CAN tell it is smaller than 1 MOA....

C4

Wouldn't that actually be like haveing a retical on the first focal plan? For example, my IOR has an MP8 retical, at 4 power the distance between the mill marks is one mill(not counting the 1/2 mil marks), when you increase the power the relation between the mil marks stays the same, it's still one mil. The thinkness of the mill lines stays the same as well, eventhough they appear thicker to the eye. So the dot would still cover 1/3 MOA even at 3x magnification IF it would be like having a first focal plan retical, would it not? Just wondering.

That is correct.  I've asked this several times and after someone, who I can't remember, explained it  I finally saw the light.  With the magnifier in the 2nd plane and the reticle in the 1st plane, everything in front of the magnifier is magnified -- both the reticle and the target image.  In an absolute sense, it all gets bigger, but in a relative sense, it stays the same.  What you lose is FOV but that applies with any magnification.  The composite image is identical to what you see at 1x, it's only bigger and you don't see as much off to the sides.  

With a 2nd plane reticle, in an absolute sense the reticle stays the same size, but the target image gets bigger or smaller as magnification is increased and decreased, so in a relative sense, the reticle changes sizes.  If you look at optic specs, whenever you see a variance in reticle subtension (spanning) between highest and lowest power settings, you know you've got a 2nd plane reticle.  In a 1st plane reticle, there's no variance.

Advantages to a 2nd plane reticle are precision at long distances.  The reticle subtends very little of the target as the magnification is cranked up.  Very useful for nailing prarie dogs and the like.  There are some mechanical disadvantages which 1st plane reticle designs don't have to contend with.  For a better explanation check out the US Optics website.  They have a decent tutorial on this topic.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Below is a pic of the new Aimpoint 3X Magnifier on a prototype LaRue Tactical mount. It sits on the rear rail of the LaRue Tactical EOTech mount. Notice that it clears the ARMS #40 BUIS (funny how you never see LT products on an ARMS weapons).

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint%203X%20with%20EOTech..JPG

You cold, heartless, money grabbing bastard!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Round peg, square hole.

Buy an Aimpoint

+1!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I need to know only one thing, How much?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you get a set of wheels to move that around with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#30]
So Grant, how well does the Aimpoint magnifier work behind the Eotech? Did you try it out yet?

Also, any word on the Eotech magnifier?

themao
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#32]
LaRue comes through again.

What a surprise.  Not...  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Grant,
 Please, please, please tell me LaRue is working on a mount for the Aimpoint 3X Magnifier for all us RAS II owners. I would think it would be the same as you showed just a taller mount to line up with the RAS II hump. That would even give us the added benefit of a little more clearance for my ARMS #40A2 buis and a little more room to mount the magnifier further foward than in the picture.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#34]
$?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Reading this thead is giving me a serious headache!Hey, nice gun by the way!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was really looking forward to this set up!  After seeing it, my nose-to-charging handle shooting style may not survive contact with the magnifier.    What is the eye relief for the magnifier?

Thanks,
-Randy

Eye relief is is better than 2 inches.

C4

Maybe a stupid question here but...
If eye relief is two inches, shouldn't the mount be moved forward if you shoot nose to CH?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If eye relief is two inches, shouldn't the mount be moved forward if you shoot nose to CH?

Solution: Don't shoot nose-to-CH. Bam!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:23:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
-Randy

Eye relief is is better than 2 inches.

C4

Yes, if you shoot with your nose on the CH then you should move it forward...

C4

Your nose or the mount?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#42]
can we get a picture though this punk?  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Could you give us a price via W.A.G. method?  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
what laser is on there?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Perfect, I just got a handle on my gun crack problem and now this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what laser is on there?

PEQ (IR)....

C4

W/ a LaRue PEQ mount

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what laser is on there?

PEQ (IR)....

C4

W/ a LaRue PEQ mount

-Cap'n

Is there any other way to fly???

C4

Is Mark planning on making any other laser mounts? Or even making the PEQ and PAQ mounts avalable to the public?

-Cap'n
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top