Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 5:24:47 AM EDT
I am considering purchasing a used Leupold Mark4 10x M1 rifle scope from a good friend and have 2 questions.

Have there been any significant changes in the scope over the past 5-10 years that would warrant me spending the extra money to buy a new one?  The scope has SN 1195xxF.  The new scopes have an “Indexed Matched Lens System”.  Does anyone know how much improvement this produces?

If the scope is in mint condition, what would be a fair price for me to pay?  Similar scopes on the EE have listed prices of around $800.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an early model Premier Mildot reticle  M-1 Mk4 and I think the only big difference is the reticle moved from one focal plane to another to allow the Mildots to be acccurate with the variable power units. I'm not sure what the "Indexed Matched Lens System" is and for most of us you would probably never know the difference.

NIB I paid a little over $1K so I would say $7-800Bucks is pretty good. these are good scopes with excellent repeatability and you sure do get your money's worth. I would never get rid of mine. the clarrity is very nice and on a accurate platforrm with match grade ammo... it's wicked accurate and built very tough. Mine will produce 1/4" MOA
I don't know how I could do better...

Since I don't play a sniper on TV (or in my Mind) it is an excellet choice if you can get a good deal on one. that's my $.02
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I've not heard of the "Indexed Matched Lens System" either, but I haven't bought a new Leupy since '02.  Have you tried contacting Leupold and asking them?

The latest innovation in MK4s has come from Premier Reticle and their new Mil-Dot reticle design, but it's only available through them.  If you're not heavily into sniper-craft, don't sweat it.

$800 seems like a fair price.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The Index Matched Lens system supposedly gives better resolution and clarity than the multi coating that Leupold uses on the VX-3 and the lower end Mark 4 Precision Rifle series scopes.  I have a Leupold that I bought through Premier a year or so ago without the index matched lenses and I have a Mark 4 MR/T that has them.  While I have not conducted a side by side "scientific" test of any sort, for the casual user (like me) I don't think you will notice a difference.  I would offer him $700 and see if he takes it.  If not, you can get new Mark 4 scopes for not much more than that (not that particular model, however).
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the info.  I'm going to make him an offer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The Mark IV 10x are good scopes.  I used to use them on my custom sniper type rifles.  I have since gone to variable scopes.   Watch-Six
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top