Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2004 3:41:54 PM EDT
I have Never owned an Aimpoint or mounting set-up for an Aimpoint and I stumbled upon a deal on an ML2 today...250.00 brand new in the box..So I couldn't pass it up!...I just have no idea which Mount to use...Arms,LaRue,or Aimpoint or WHAT?!I have ACOG's on my other rifles and the mounts are pretty much easy to choose right?...Trijicon factory or nada!

I am going to mount it to my newly acquired Bushmaster M4A3 and plan on adding a Buis for co-witnessing...So, What would you guys do/use/prefer?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with either the ARMS#22M68 with spacer or the LaRue. You cannot go wrong with either. The rest had to do with personal preference/looks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the ARMS #22M68 with the full spacer. I like it, but you gotta loc tite the thing together. If I were to do it over I would buy the LaRue, but that wasn't out at the time. If you want to mount it on the hump of an RAS II or on a SIR, ARMS #22M68 with no spacer is the best way to go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
LaRue.

Now that I have ARMS and LaRue, I won't buy ARMS again.

Sucks to need a screwdriver to pry levers loose.   LaRue you just adjust.

Don't get into tolerances either, I've put the calipers on my uppers and they are all within specification
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
A guy has one of these on the EE...Knights Armament Company 30mm Extension Mount (Part 98512) - Aimpoint cantilever mount, 1/2 inch hex nut version ..I know there are issues with the Arms mounts that are pretty heated..Are they complete junk..or what?So,what about the KAC Cantilever mount? are they any count...I don't plan on doing barrel rolls in the dirt, however, I do want it secure enough that it wont pop off in snap drills and the like!From what I have read LaRue is the toughest, most reliable way to go but I do like the Cantilevers!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for  ARMS#22M68. I use one with no spacer (I have the ARMS SIR #46SC). Rock solid and repeat zero every time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the KAC style cantilever.  Puts the Aimpoint out over the delta ring, right where i like it.

Also, with a cantilever, it will be easier to mount the new Aimpoint magnifier behind it later
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm using an ARMS 2268 now, but I might try a LaRue. The ARMS is great except for the throw-lever that sticks out quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO, the KAC mount costs too much along with a few other minor drawbacks.  If you’re not planning on changing your overall setup, I would go with the LaRue.  If you do change, the ARMS 22M68 will give you the most versatility (no spacer, ½ spacer, full spacer and cantilever spacer).

Ray
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I am with Lumpy! LaRue, I just got mine in the mail today, and it dots the I on the front sight post, I wouldn't spend my money any other way!  LaRue Tactical rules, and I got a funny Armadillo Beer Opener for free
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I have ARMS 22M68. It was the top choice when I bought mine.

If I'm going to buy another one I'd probably go LaRue just because their construction looks more rugged to me, and have more supporting contact surface area.

But I would still use ARMS 40 or ARMS 40L for the BUIS... I love that spring loaded stuff.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 for ARMS #22M68. It gets the job done very well in my opinion, it has held zero for over six months now and about 1300 rounds down the range. I have never needed a screw driver to get the lever to move, it is really quick to mount and dismount. I like the ability to choose a spacer for my needs, the ARMS #22M68 offers that ability at the cost of having to locktite everything.

Fight4yourrights, I will get into tolerances a bit here, sorry.  I'm a mechanical engineer by profession, so I have a grasp of these things. If your mount is at the lower end of the tolerance and the rail at the higher end, the fit will be very tight. The spec says 0.617-0.010" for the lower part of the ridge. Now, 0.01" may not sound like much, but it is in fact a rough tolerance. Also, the shape tolerances and directional tolerances come into play when we have the kind of cross section that the mil-std-1913 specifies. These tolerances are also quite rough in the spec and when these tolerances don't meet between the mount and rail, it eats up the available space from somewhere else, like width. That's just the way things work, it is impossible to guarantee a 100% perfect fit unless one manufactures both the rail and the mount and match them or unless the mount has some sort of adjustment.

I'm sorry but a caliper is not enough to measure the rail or mount properly. You can't accurately determine how parallel or perpendicular certain surfaces are, how circular the corners are, what's the corner radius, where the corner center points are etc. There's a huge amount of factors in play here, that's why people experience so much differences with their mounts and rails.

It is of course great if you can adjust the mount, that's a great method to get a perfect fit. That's what I like about the Larue. Never tried one, but will very soon (SPR mount). I'm sure it will serve me well. So far I can only comment on the ARMS, and I think it is great for my purposes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Double post
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:13:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I  went for the Knight tilt forward mount, holds it zero, looks kewl  too.

Did I mention it co-witness perfectly?

TG
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven't found a receiver yet that my ARMS 22m68 wouldn't fit.

And with ARMS, there is ZERO chance of damaging your receiver via friction galling.

The ARMS system also has the benefit of being modular.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I like my GG&G cantilever mount.
It's a bit more expensive, but it is made real well, and returns to zero very well if you take it off/put it on alot.
Very solid 6-screw ring, and the rail clamp screw-head is flat(like a wing-nut), so you don't need a wrench.
Also, it has a spare battery compartment for the Aimpoint battery, just in case.
Cowitnesses real well in the lower 1/3.
Cantilever puts the optic forward over the Delta Ring, where I like it, and also leaves room for a PVS-14 mounted on the rear, if you ever need that.

I didn't want to pay $225(retail), so I watched the EE for awhile, and got one for $125 used/perfect.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Don't get into tolerances either, I've put the calipers on my uppers and they are all within specification

If you can accurately measure the .748 +/- .002 dimension with a set of calipers, you are a better man than I.  Or how about the .164 -.020 dimension or the .108 dimension or the 45 degree angles?  Measuring the .835 -.005 dimension and having it "in spec" is only part of info need to determine "in spec".  

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Larue.

My two biggest beefs with the ARMS are:

1. Once you lock the lever on a tight rail, it'll be loose on everything else.  For example, I had one mounted on an upper.  It fit great.  I moved the mount to the KAC RAS rail to see how I liked it out that far.  It was a very tight fit.  I decided I preferred it farther back so I moved it back to the receiver.  It no longer fit as snug and there was no way to adjust it.

2. The screws holding the whole assembly together are slot head.  I prefer Torx screws as they don't require Loctite.

With that said, I do wish Larue would make a cantilever mount.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fight4yourrights, I will get into tolerances a bit here, sorry.  I'm a mechanical engineer by profession, so I have a grasp of these things. .

I'm an engineer too.  Good explanation of the tolerancing.   No, I certainly didn't measure everything to print.

But, that's what I like about the LaRue's - they will work just the way you want them to.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got a funny Armadillo Beer Opener for free

Thats a tactical beer bottle openner.  Just used mine to crack a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

+1.  I even made mine my avatar.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got a funny Armadillo Beer Opener for free

Thats a tactical beer bottle openner.  Just used mine to crack a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

+1.  I even made mine my avatar.

I need one of those.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll place my bets on the LaRue.

My experiences limit me to the Aimpoint QRP, Aimpoint Rail-Grabber, ARMS 22M68 and LaRue CCO.

The LaRue and Aimpoint mounts have been the only ones that didn't shift from front-to-back on the flattop rail over time.  ALL of the ARMS mounts that I've used have done so through extended use.  

-Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#26]
PRI or LaRue
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I have went with the LaRue for this project...I'm sure it will work out..among the debates..I have heard nothing but positive things about all their products and what sold me on buying their mount was the facts of  what I have heard about the customer service and its is made from one block of metal...I now have to buy an Arm's mount so I can compare for myself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Ive got an ARMS 22m68...never had any problems with it and it holds zero well. Never needed a screwdriver to remove it either. I will admit that I have no experience witht the Larue but it does look good. I may be putting an Aimpoint on my father in laws rifle soon and may get a Larue just to check it out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm with the ARMS 22M68 Mount crowd. I  like mine alot. has held good so far and holds it zero. But I would look at Larue now that that choice is out now . as opposed to when I got my ARMS. and I also wish LaRue Made a cantilever mount..
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have went with the LaRue for this project...I'm sure it will work out..among the debates..I have heard nothing but positive things about all their products and what sold me on buying their mount was the facts of  what I have heard about the customer service and its is made from one block of metal...I now have to buy an Arm's mount so I can compare for myself.

I like the mount as a whole...I just wish the finish was a little more black and didnt rub off! The best thing was the bottle opener!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top