Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 1:20:20 PM EDT
How many of you have used the little doctor optic red dot, how does it perform? Washout?

thanks-Robert
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How many of you have used the little doctor optic red dot, how does it perform? Washout?

thanks-Robert

They work very well.

C4

+1 on that.....

The Dr Optic is the best option for a TA01 NSN Acog back-up sight.......
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
what about as a stand alone optic, what ranges are reasonable with it? If I get one I will probably be using it on an 11.5, Think it can do the job as a stand alone Red dot? With back up irons of course.

Thanks -Robert
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just my opinion is ,although i use one on a 9mm carbine thats set up for a monthly run & gun and others on top of  ipsc pistols i for myself dont think its up to the job for a anything but  a game/plinking gun.I question its ruggedness with hard use and changing out a battery quickly,you can forget.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I use mine in three gun  matchs on top of the TA01NSN.   For under 50 yds it can't be beat but when I have targets out further I find myself using the ACOG.   But......................I also range tested it out to 100 yds and it does fine.  No quick change battery but it's suppose to last for years.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
so consensus, work on 11.5 for dedicated optic or nae?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
hmmm probably both.

Marine, in FAST right now but probably will be heading towards Iraq in 2-6 months

thanks-Robert
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]
When I want to go light weight, I take off the ACOG and use it stand alone on the hump of a RAS II.  It works great like that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I would personally take a more robust optic than the Dr. Optic to war. I have all four of the popular types - aimpoint, EOTech, ACOG, and Reflex, (as well as the Dr. Optic on top of my ACOG NSN). I think with all the banging around in vehicles, walls, etc - not to mention the fact that you have re-zero every time you change batteries, and it is somewhat of a small surface which is not re-inforced .... I would choose an EOTech or Aimpoint for a reddot optic before the DO in the sandbox.

My .02$

Doc
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
man, ive had my Docter for about two years now. I really love it. I have it co-witnessed with a bernie- cooley adjustable handle mount that was purchased through bushmaster. This sight is tuff as nails. All aluminum and glass. no plastic here!!!  Waterproof, and most deffinately shock proof. The sight also has an auto light sensor in it. When it senses bright or day light, the dot gets brighter and the opposite effect happens in low light conditions. You never have to worry about turning a dial to get the right brightness setting. The sight is also allways running. There is no on or off switch, only a protective polymer cover that fits over the top and covers the sensor to put it into night mode during storage. Battery life is supposed to be 5 years with a standard cr2032. Im going on two years now and have yet to buy a battery for it. All in all, If i was going to buy another red dot sight i would deffinately buy this one again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I know that specwargear makes a mount for the DO on an NSN, does anybody else make them?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#13]
... Not the best pix, and no direct sun light but here's what they look like a bit.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]
To you Docter users:  as the intensity of the Docter's dot is auto-regulated, depending on the amount of light, have you experienced dot "wash-out".  The one thing that kind of turned me off about my old Optima was that if I was in a dim area (darkened hallway, for example) shooting at a target that was in bright light, I had a dim dot that wouldn't stand out against the target.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
To you Docter users:  as the intensity of the Docter's dot is auto-regulated, depending on the amount of light, have you experienced dot "wash-out".  The one thing that kind of turned me off about my old Optima was that if I was in a dim area (darkened hallway, for example) shooting at a target that was in bright light, I had a dim dot that wouldn't stand out against the target.  

... I can't speak for anyone else here but, the above photos were done without any enhancement or altercation. I know it's not conclusive, but that is pretty much what you will see inside a home, in daylight with a Dr Optic, from the POV you see.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I have'nt experienced any "wash out" with my sight. It seems to work flawlessly unless im trying to shoot the sun. (only kidding) I have yet to see a red dot sight that didnt wash out in direct light (i.e. aiming at a flashlight or a headlight) for that matter my damn eyes wash out in those conditions. But in all other conditions it has proven to be just as reliable as anything eles on the market. I love this lil' sight so much I would put it up against any red dot out there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Winston Wolf,

Thanks for posting the pics. They are very helpful.

Can you tell me what is the height over bore for the Docter Optic dot assuming that you're mounting the TA01NSN onto a flattop?

Thanks,
Phong
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top