Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 8:07:42 PM EDT
Just picked up an Armalite one piece scope mount(1''). I need to know how tight the rings need to be in order to prevent slippage but still avoid damage to the scope tube. Also should the thumb screws be finger tight only or do I use the slots to tighten further? At this time I don't have any kind of torque wrench available other than a large automotive type. Would appreciate any and all assistance.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The Armalite mount is a good one and the one piece design will hold good zero on any size scope you choose.  The base mounts should be tight and I usually add a little torque with a screw driver or a coin like a quarter as a tool.  But both the rings and the upper are aluminum and too much force can damage something.  On the rings themselves, use an allen or hex wrench and apply no more pressure than your fingers can apply.  No cheaters or even your palm. There should be a gap on both sides of the rings, make it about equal. Too much pressure can leave dents inthe scope tube and you don't want that. there is no reason to torque such small nuts.  Some rules of thumb on hand applied torque using a srewdriver are

With finger pressure ( a thumb and two fingers) on the driver equals about15 inch pounds

Full hand pressure ( a full grip) on the screwdriver  equals 20  to 50 inch pounds

Using a three inch rachet tool (like in the Chapman Gun Screwdriver kit ) you can one hand
torque from 75 to 200 inch pounds.  

You don't need to torque scope mount screws  more than thirty or so inch pounds.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much. Your advice will allow me to mount the scope tonight, get it bore sighted in the morning, and be shooting by early afternoon.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top