Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 5:15:44 AM EDT
I am putting together a SAM-R clone AR-15 and was wanting some feedback on a scope for it. I am using the Larue scope mount and was looking at either the Leupold 3X9X36 MR/T M3 scope or the old standby Leupold 3.5x10x40 LR M3. I have 2 of the LR M3's and like them but have never found a MR/T to look through. I thought the MR/T might be scaled better to the rifle size wise.

I was wondering about;

1. Clarity of the MR/T?

2. How critical is cheek weld on the MR/T model? I don't want to move my head 3/16" and have it black out.

3. I do not use a nose to charging handle hold, will I have trouble with the shorter eye relief of the MR/T?

4. Any problems with the durabilty of the illuminated version?

5. Will they both clear my Troy BUIS when using the Larue mount?

Thanks, Mike

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]

bump -- 'cause i have the same questions...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:25:35 AM EDT
[#2]
1.  It's a Leupy so you know its good.

2. ,  3. , and 5.  are solved by your excellent choice of a LaRue mount.

4.  I have no idea but my partner who uses one has had no problems.

I wanted one for my SPR until I played with the new Nightforce NXS 2.5 - 10x.  It was freaking sweet.  Either way you go I think you will be good.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:57:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.

The blackout issue has me concerned because I have had it happen on a couple of Leupolds with small exit pupils, but they have both been 4.5 x14 x 40's.

Both my LR M3's work great after getting through several bad ones early on, I really like them.

I have looked through some Nightforce scopes and liked them [especially the reticle choices] but the weight and size are excessive for this project I think. I have not seen the new 2.5 x 10 though.

I know the early illuminated reticle LR Leupolds had problems with durabilty, I called Leupold when I was looking at trying one on a bolt gun and their forever warranty did not cover the illuminated reticle, it only had one year. I am hoping the MR/T has a "next generation" illuminated reticle that holds up better. I am concerened with there being no positive off position, as I don't know what the battery life on these are, looks like that would be an easy design feature to add.

I am also torn between the M3 and M1 version. I have 2 of the M3's on .308's and the elevation wheel matches my round out to 800 yards almost dead on. The only M3 wheel I see for the .223 is a 55 grain bullet at 3200fps. This will be way off the 77 grain round I want to shoot. I know I can just dial in the MOA but I like being able to dial in the yardage without looking at my tables [too many tables and too short a memory to remember them all]. I also like not being able to get a revolution off with the M3.

Thanks, Mike

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
THE NEW NIGHTFORCE 2.5-10X NXS ONLY WEIGHS 17 OUNCES, ONE MORE THAN THE MR/T AND FOUR LESS THAN THE LR/T. THE RETICLE CHOICES ARE OUTSTANDING, TOO.

THE .308 CAM WORKS PRETTY WELL WITH THE 5.56MM 77 GR LOADS IN THE M3.

WES

Hey Wes - Any info on this new Nightforce?  Eye relief?  BDC or MOA adjustments?  Reticles available?  Illum or not?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SURE! WE HAVE THEM IN STOCK, IN ALL FOUR RETICLE CHOICES:

MIL-DOT
NP-1
NP-R2
FC-2 ... NEW

ILLUMINATED, QUARTER MOA ADJUSTMENTS, 3.7" EYE RELIEF, 9.9" OAL, 17 OUNCES. WILL WORK PERFECTLY IN THE LARUE TACTICAL SPR SCOPE MOUNT.

I AM JUST WAITING ON MORE MOUNTS. AS SOON AS THEY SHOW, I'LL TAKE SOME PIX.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

No BDC option like the MR/T though, huh?  How much are asking for this new Nightforce vs. the MR/T?

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
When I played with one last weekend it had the NP1 and I asked about BDC and the guy told me it came with a chart or something and you could use it to range and sort of like a BDC but I don't know if he knew what he was talking about.  He was eating a candy bar and getting crumbs all over the scope while he was showing it to me.  Wes can you give any insight on that and what reticle would you pick to go on an SPR?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Wes. you are truely evil...........

Quoted:
SURE! WE HAVE THEM IN STOCK, IN ALL FOUR RETICLE CHOICES:

MIL-DOT
NP-1
NP-R2
FC-2 ... NEW

ILLUMINATED, QUARTER MOA ADJUSTMENTS, 3.7" EYE RELIEF, 9.9" OAL, 17 OUNCES. WILL WORK PERFECTLY IN THE LARUE TACTICAL SPR SCOPE MOUNT.

I AM JUST WAITING ON MORE MOUNTS. AS SOON AS THEY SHOW, I'LL TAKE SOME PIX.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Any scope reticle can be used for rangefinding and BDC, as long as you know the reticle subtension figures. Some reticles require less "guesstimating" than others, but even a basic duplex reticle will provide enough information to be better than nothing.

If there are any additional markings or graduations in the reticle, then it is even better.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top