Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2004 7:34:29 PM EDT
Looking to get an ARMSON OEG for my XM177 Project.  Anyone have experience with the OEG?  Which one has low light capabilities, the MAX Duty OEG?  Which one has the Tritium feature?

Didn't the Ton Say Raiders use the Armson OEG?

ARMSON OEG MAX DUTY
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The OEG that is shown on your link is different from the Armson OEG being sold by Trijicon. This is the OEG sold by Armson (of which I owned one in the 1980's):

This is the OEG that is at your link:

I was under the impression that Trijicon was the only dealer that sold Armson products, but, I am probably mistaken......

EDIT:

Upon further searching at the Trijicon site, the OEG they sell is identical (has the "hood" for the fiber optic probe) to the Armson USA site.

Anyways, I had an OEG in the 80's. Back then, it was high-speed, the Cat's Ass, etc. Now, it is out-dated technology. I sold mine not too long ago, after it sat for years collecting dust. Get an ACOG, an Aimpoint, or an EOTech before thinking about sinking money into one of these............
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#2]
SPR-Mk12-Mod0,

I had an OEG on the XM177 I carried in Central America '83-'84 and I loved it.  Machined from one piece of aluminum, adjustable for windage and elavation, hole in mount to view your iron sights, fiber optic to gather light in daytime (dot gets brighter as existing light gets brighter) and uses tritium for night-time target acquisition.

The polycarbonate tip that covers the fiber optic rod was made from the same material that the visors of the Apollo astronaut's helmet was made from.  You CANNOT tear one of these up.

I'm getting ready to send my OEG back to Trijicon and they will clean, recalibrate, replace the windage and elevation screws, and replace the tritium source (half life 12 years) for $35.00 shipped there and back.

4 MOA dot.  If it's for an XM, search ebay and gunbroker for used OEGs with "dead" tritium and send them to Trijicon to have "made new".  They would be period correct.

The new "hood" serves a purpose, but aesthetically I think it's ugly.

Check with Elite Firearms at Boaz, KY.  (I think the link is www.eliteguns.com)  Last time I was in there they had a "new" unit in the box, period correct, and the tritium was deader than a doornail.  I bet he would take $125 for it if you offerred.  Be sure to tell them you know the tritium is "dead" and with the fiber optic it can only be used in the daytime...

I'll post pics next week of my A1 SBR with the OEG mounted (waiting for the barrel to come back from Steve @ ADCO -he de-lugged the front sight base for me).

Regards,

uxb
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If you really want one e-mail me. I have one I have owned since the mid 80's. I might even have the box, etc., but I would have to check. It does not have the built on carry handle mount, it uses rings. I am not sure what model was used in the Son Tay raid.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you really want one e-mail me. I have one I have owned since the mid 80's. I might even have the box, etc., but I would have to check. It does not have the built on carry handle mount, it uses rings. I am not sure what model was used in the Son Tay raid.

Thanks but I"m looking for a carry handle mount and the newest model.  I appreciate the offer.

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SPR-Mk12-Mod0,

I had an OEG on the XM177 I carried in Central America '83-'84 and I loved it.  Machined from one piece of aluminum, adjustable for windage and elavation, hole in mount to view your iron sights, fiber optic to gather light in daytime (dot gets brighter as existing light gets brighter) and uses tritium for night-time target acquisition.

The polycarbonate tip that covers the fiber optic rod was made from the same material that the visors of the Apollo astronaut's helmet was made from.  You CANNOT tear one of these up.

I'm getting ready to send my OEG back to Trijicon and they will clean, recalibrate, replace the windage and elevation screws, and replace the tritium source (half life 12 years) for $35.00 shipped there and back.

4 MOA dot.  If it's for an XM, search ebay and gunbroker for used OEGs with "dead" tritium and send them to Trijicon to have "made new".  They would be period correct.

The new "hood" serves a purpose, but aesthetically I think it's ugly.

Check with Elite Firearms at Boaz, KY.  (I think the link is www.eliteguns.com)  Last time I was in there they had a "new" unit in the box, period correct, and the tritium was deader than a doornail.  I bet he would take $125 for it if you offerred.  Be sure to tell them you know the tritium is "dead" and with the fiber optic it can only be used in the daytime...

I'll post pics next week of my A1 SBR with the OEG mounted (waiting for the barrel to come back from Steve @ ADCO -he de-lugged the front sight base for me).

Regards,

uxb

Yes Please.  I didn't think anyone kept them besides for the novelty factor but nothing is really outdated to me.  I already have an Aimpoint and the neighbor is building an XM clone so I want to try it out too, we shoot alot together.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Son Tay pre-dated the Armson's and I seem to remember the optical sights were British made.  I'll try to find out for sure...

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I posted those pics last week looking for information in General Discussion.

I think the consensus was that they were Single Points......
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
How were those British made sights mounted? I have been following this thread for a while and I have access to one that mounts with rings.  Been considering an XM177 too, this may be all the justification I need to complete it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it just me or is that pic reversed???
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How were those British made sights mounted? I have been following this thread for a while and I have access to one that mounts with rings.  Been considering an XM177 too, this may be all the justification I need to complete it.

Like the other picture of the SON TAY Raider shows, they look like they are attached with 1 inch rings.  However, some have said that they were attached with black electrical tape, for authenticity purposes, you could try that but YMMV.

Here is another picture, not as clear as the first.

Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#14]
SPR-Mk12-Mod0 - pics as promised on my XM instead of my CAR15 A2

old technology is good on a retro-rifle.

Just wouldn't look right with a CompML2 on it...

uxb
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#15]
uxb, that is so cool, I want to SHAG it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
uxb, that is so cool, I want to SHAG it!

+1, that's awesome.  I've always wanted to try out an OEG, I think I'm going to get one to play w/, just for shits and giggles sometime.  Especially if they're as tough as everyone says.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top