Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2004 9:00:29 PM EDT
I am debating on whether to include an A3 or an A2 upper on my Dissipator project. My intention is to eventually have an Eotech perched somewhere. I have seen pics of AR's with the Eotech placed far upfront on a rail while others occupy the detachable carry handle's real estate of an A3 Flat top. I would like my carbine project to include the standard A2 front sight base

Would you fine folks please chime in as to the features and benefits of having the Eotech placed further up front I like the idea of having a fixed carry handle providing "back up" sights to the red dot. If I put the reticle infront of the carry handle what will the sight picture look like Will it co witness with the front and rear sight perfectly? Does the sight need to be raised? Will a carry handle mounted rail be sufficient to support the Eotech or should I plan on using something like a KAC RAS?

If the unit is mounted just in front of the carry handle will it be a bitch to operate the controls on the Eotech? Your input in addition to any pics of your existing setups would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gunz
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an EOTech and I have mounted it in both places.  Both have their advantages.  In front of the carry handle lets you have a better cheek weld on your stock.  Up high on the carry-handle and you can still use your irons.  I think it just boils down to where it feels better for you.  Try them both and see what works best for you and your rifle.  

I forgot to mention I have it mounted on a Swan goose neck mount so I can move it back and forth to whichever place I want to mount it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems I need to clarify my original thread. I am curious as to the placement of the Eotech mounted in front of an A2 carry handle, not on top of it. I want opinions on this mounting position vs. mounting the Eotech in place of a detachable carry handle, right on top of an A3(Flat top) upper receiver.

Those of you with an Eotech, do you prefer it mounted closer to the muzzle or set back. What are the advantages

Thanks,

Gunzer
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
With the optic mounted further forward, you get a wider field of view as the optic body doesn't obstruct your view as much.  However, it makes the rifle front heavy if you do place it far forward.  The best thing to do is get a back-up sight like the ARMS #40 or the LMT BUIS (or even just cut your carry handle down) so you have more rail space to experiment with and still have iron sights.  Different users will prefer the optic in different positions, so it is up to you where the sight works best.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an EOTech on my flat-top and I mounted it in the center between the receiver and the four rail ff handguard.  The back half of the EOTech sits on the front of the receiver and the front half of the EOTech sits on the back of the hand guard.  My BUIS are DPMS Mangenol flip-ups which cowitness in the bottom third of the EOTech.

This setup works great for me.
MadDog hippie.gif
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top