Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 7:10:23 PM EDT
Here's the deal: I'm setting up a 20" 1/7 A2 profile barreled gun to do 300-400 yard shooting. I plan to use either 69gr BTHP, or the new 77gr OTM from Black Hills.  I have the upper set up as a flattop, with ARMS #40 backup irons.

I had looked at the Leopold Vari-X 3 Tactical 3.5-10x 40mm, with the M3 target knobs.  I really want the mil dots and easy range adjustment - one revolution of the dial from 100-1000 yards ( though I won't be using much past 400 yards, if that).

My problems are: I really cringe at having to spend $800 for the scope, and an unknown amount for the rings.  I don't even know if that scope will work well on my gun, with ARMS #40s in place.

I just got done looking at a picture of a similar scope on a gun, and it needed an extended sleeve to get it far enough forward.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=172047

This is just too big and heavy.

So, anyone have any good suggestions? I want the mil dot reticle, variable power; not more than 10x, no bigger than a 40mm lens, short enough to not need an extended sleeve, and a mount that will still allow the use of the ARMS 40 (note that I'd have to remove the scope to use the backup irons, but the scope can't be hitting the irons either when they're folded down. I'd prefer one of the ARMS quick detach mounts, but don't know which one to get.

Yah, it isn't easy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I don't have a solution to your situation, but since my eyes aren't that sharp anymore, I'm also interested in a nice scope like the one you've mentioned.

In my experience, glass prices have always been relatively stable..as in you pretty much get what you pay for.  I remember having to spend $1-2k for some constant aperature Canon EOS lenses with zoom capability.  I don't think good riflescopes, although different in purpose, are terribly different in quality.

Personally, I'd just save the #40 BUIS for a 16" LW project or upper.  I'm sure you have your reasons, but I don't see myself having to use a backup sight while shooting at targets 300-400 yards away.

-Jim
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a similar upper, BM 20" 1 in 7" Gov't profile with the A2 front sight.   I wasn't planning on free-floating the barrel, and I'm not really comfortable with high-power scopes.  I got a TA31 ACOG in an ARMS #19S mount.  The #40 fits behind it.  4x, good eye relief, and more accurate than I am.  I've only shot out to 200yds, but I doubt you'd be disappointed.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Could try out a Tasco Super Sniper scope, some people seem to really like them.  I think SWFA sells them, can't say anything about the scopes first hand though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just got done looking at a picture of a similar scope on a gun, and it needed an extended sleeve to get it far enough forward.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=172047[/url]

This is just too big and heavy.

View Quote

by "This is just too big and heavy,"  I'm assuming you're talking about the GG&G extension sleeve/rail..??  right?  

Ryan

BTW- This might help a bit...  This link shows some Leupy M3s mounted different ways on ARs (all with BUISs under them)..[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=134&t=141691&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:27:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Klinger04,

It was the picture of your setup that let me see that the scope was too long for what I wanted to do. The scope IS heavy, plus adding an extension on only compounds the weight problem

The concept for this gun was a 20" A2 1/7 barrel, for general "combat use", plus capability for precision work to about 400 yards. Using the 77gr OTM rounds, it ought to be a good one at that. I have an Aimpoint CompML2 on it now, but want to be able to switch back and forth using QD mounts between the general use optic and a good scope for the longer range shots (I can reliably hit prone head targets to a bit over 200 yards with that Aimpoint, but certainly not a 400 yard one without magnification). I don't want an ACOG.

I also really want to be able to keep the ARMS 40's, since it is a general use gun too. :)
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd second the recommendation for the Tasco Super Sniper, if you want an inexpensive model that is comparable to the Leupold you mentioned.

An even cheaper alternative is the Simmons AETEC. They are around $150, are decent scopes and look similar to the Leupold you mention.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top