Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 8:57:03 AM EDT
I was wondering if anybody has had any first hand experience with NcStar (New Century Science & Technology) scopes? Now, to make it perfectly clear, I know it’s not Trijicon, and I don’t expect much of it for $50, but all I’m looking for is a scope to be “permanently” mounted (or dedicated) to my dedicated .22lr upper that is used for plinking ONLY, so it won’t be used for HD or “life or death” situations, and occasional failure is acceptable. I could spend (and I still may) $500+ for a Trijicon, but if another scope for 1/10th of the price can do ALMOST what Trijicon does, then I may just give it a shot. Again, I don’t expect it to be as good, or last as long as a quality scope (Trijicon seems to be a scope everyone is trying to measure up to), but as long as I can get some mileage out of it, I’ll be satisfied. However, I don’t want to end up spending $50 just to realize it’s a complete junk. So, has anyone given NcStar a shot (or some other similar makers)? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one of these (the 4x30 with illuminated reticle) and stuck it on my AR-15. First let me disclaimer my opinion by saying that I have little to no experience with scopes; I've shot a little bit of highpower service rifle with M1903, M1 Garand, M1A, and AR-15 (all iron sights). I saw one of these scopes for under $100 and thought it would be fun to play with, so I went ahead and snapped it up. I've only actually taken it out to the range and shot with it two or three times. I was not surprised to find that the zero did not hold at all between mountings, but it held up all right through the fifty or so rounds I put through it after zeroing. I don't know exactly what you mean by complete junk or what exactly you are expecting from the thing (or fearing), but I don't see anything wrong with spending fifty bucks on it as a toy for plinking. I don't regret getting one, but then again I don't really have any serious application for it either. If the time comes that I need serious optics, I'll consider spending serious money ;)
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi, First, I should tell you that I am actually looking for an optic for my AR. I am hesitating between the Aimpoint and the Eotech. Why those? Because they have the right "look" and they are used by the military. On the other end, at my club, I see people that have Tasco PDP3 or Busnell Trophy red dot scope (with a choice of 4 reticule) installed on shotgun, 357 mag revolver and high power rifle for years without a single problem. I own a regular crossair bushnell scope that has been following me for over 20 seasons of hunting under rain, icing rain and snow. It has been banged around on trees, in the bottom of boats, attached on top of luggage on a four wheeler and keep its zero. Of course is not as bright as high end scope but it is doing its job for a while now. It is probably fragile compare to an Aimpoint or ACOG but I won't drop it from an helicopter neither will I let a Hummer run over it. About 20 years ago I bought an OEG from Armson (Trijicon) to put on top of my Ruger mini-14. After a year or 2 it started fogging inside. I fixed it myself because I was equipped with nitrogen that we used to seal electronic assemblies. When I open the OEG I was suprised that I paid so much money for just a tube of aluminium, a lens, 2 set screws, couple of O-ring and a tritium insert. I don't know the NcStar, so I can't tell you if they are good or not. On the other end I am far from convinced that Aimpoint, ACOG or any other High end military optic is worthed for my needs. Not long ago some body here talk about a BSA dot scope. I do not know those one neither but apparently the user was very satisfied. If you ever get a NCStar, let us know if you like it or not.
Clovis
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Was just at a gun show in Ocala Florida and a particular dealer there had oodles of them that sold like hotcakes.  It was like the McDonald's of scopes.  

With optics, you usually get what you pay for...up to a point. I wasn't too impressed, but your mileage may vary.  

My bold prediction: In 5-10 years, the Chinese made scopes will be as good as anything available.  But right now.....

Scott
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had some good luck with cheap optics. I have a Tasco 42mm red dot just retired on my AR in favor of an EOTech. The $45 Tasco held it's zero on my M4 quite admirably. I had it on my Turkey gun prior to that, and I'll be putting it back on that gun now that I have the Eotech. The one thing I did notice on the NCStar red dots is that their dot isn't as bright as my Tasco. Look at Midway USA for that Tasco. I think they still sell it for cheap.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:32:39 AM EDT
[#6]
First, let me say that I am experienced in the area of cheap optics(20+years). Until this year I had never spend more than $100 on any kind of optics. I have always had el cheapo Bushnell scopes on my .22's for years without any problems. When I started getting in to higher power/higher dollar rifles (like my ar-15 and my Remington PSS) I thought I could skimp on the optics. First I put my 20 year old fixed 4x Bushnell on my ar 15. Actually, it is an amazingly clear scope. I shot in several competitions with it out to 300 meters. It did surprisingly well. Next, I tossed a 3x9 Bushnell on my PSS just to break the gun in. The scope lasted for 8 shots before the insides were blown apart. I also had a Chinese 4x scope that I put on my Ruger 10/22. It lasted less than a day before the reticle changed from a crosshair to a letter X. Finally. I convinced myself that optics are the heart of the weapon system and need to be appropriate for the weapon. You may be able to go for years with a cheap scope on a .22 without any trouble. After putting a nice Leupold Tactical on my PSS and an Aimpoint on the Ar, I would never go back to cheap Chinese optics again. Believe me, I love a bargain, I would much rather put a $50 scope on anything, but if you are serious about shooting I think it is worth saving up (or maxing out your credit card) for good optics. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Spend a little under $200 and you can get a Nikon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi Alex. There is a big A$$ pic of one of these in the general forum under "What do you use your rifle for?." I have seen a few people ask about these recently. Anyway, what do you need this thing to do for you?  Just so happens I have one of their(NCStar) better offerings right here. I'll make a deal w/ you.... Make a list of what you expect from this optic(keeping in mind it is >$100) as far as clarity, ability to hold zero, etc... This model has target knobs so maybe turn back & forth a few hundred times?  I will send to you @ no cost. Just report back to ARFCOM if it passed or failed you expectations. You may consider even painting it OD green. I have a feeling thats going to be the new trend aroud here;) Maybe we can all learn a little something about these things. Contact me offline. -Justin
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, if you are looking for somebody to give it a workout and a fair range report, send it to me!  I have a new FAL carbine that needs some optics on it...  I'd try an NCStar for free.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess you would know how to treat a lady as you are so perch-whipped Mr. Penguin that you blew your friends off yesterday to play Driving Miss Aimless...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I never referred to it as my big bald buddy before... but we do have contact several times a day...

Wait, do you mean Helldoggy?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, this begs the questions... why did I get so sleepy so early that night in NJ, why did I wake up with a headache as well as ummmmm posterial pain and how do you have any idea how wittle my buddy is?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh [b]THAT'S[/b] the problem, you woke up without your glasses on and couldn't tell one hairy beast from another...  Yes, Achilles has a small weewee, but if we were as hung as him in proportion to our body sizes we would have third legs...  leave my dog alone, freak!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top