Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2003 10:13:31 AM EDT
Can anybody tell me what the recommended placement of a Aimpoint ML2 scope is? I have flattops with RAS. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there is a right answer.  Try it in different spots and find where your field of view is best.  The eye relief is unlimited, so it doesn't really matter.  Many folks prefer it as far fwd as possible to maximize their view.  Others see the sight less the closer it is to their eye.  As solid as the RAS is, there it is not as strong or consistant as the receiver.  I would personally mount it as far forward on the receiver as you can and go from there.  It also depends on the mount you are using.  Use a mount that permits you to sight a BUIS (backup ironsight) through the tube to your frontsight if needed.  Again this is a popular way to do it but there are no rules.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I am using the Knights cantalever mount which juts forward some. I thought that their might be a standard. I'll try it on the end of the receiver first. In the manual it says to line the dot up with the tip of your front sight. In that case like a iron sight wouldn't the further away from the front sight be best?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I like it overhanging the Delta ring.  Far enough out to maintain a good FOV, but not so far out that if Im shooting around a barricade at night that it obscures a distant target.  I want to expose as little of me as possible and that means one eyed shooting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Just over the delta ring/front take down pin area for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Over the barrel nut/delta ring.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
So is that as far forward as I can put it on the upper receiver or as far back as I can put it on the RAS. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I like a cantilever mount as far forward on the receiver as it will go.  KAC, GG&G or ARMS work fine.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So is that as far forward as I can put it on the upper receiver or as far back as I can put it on the RAS. Thanks
View Quote

In that setup, if you are using an Arms #22M68 mount, just get the cantilver spacer for it, and mount at the front of the receiver rail.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

In that setup, if you are using an Arms #22M68 mount, just get the cantilver spacer for it, and mount at the front of the receiver rail.
View Quote

Link me please. For the cantilever spacer. Does ARMs make it? I assume it takes the place of the regular spacer for the 22M68 mount?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#10]
ARMS Cantilever spacer:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=12668[/img]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got an M-2 and tried mounting it in a few different places. I settled on using an ARMS #22M68 on an ARMS cantilever spacer mounted on the very last rail slot of the receiver. As much as I would like to mount it on the rifle's KAC FF RAS, I prefer the stability of the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I still disagree with mounting it over the handguards, for the reasons I gave above.

To far forward and the sight body will actually obscure the target, especially if cover or concealment isnt allowing you to have both eyes viewing the target.

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Over delta ring.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top