Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 6:59:03 PM EDT

I'm just curious if you give up anything in terms of sight picture with an aimpoint or Eotech at night compared to just a iron sight with a tritium dot?  I was thinking an Aimpoint might actually get more light to your eye.  Anyone have experience with these sights in low light/night?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My prefered optic for close range night work.

The sight picture is the red dot...you're not giving up anything.  The same advantages that make it fast during the day make it fast in dim light or with flashlights.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I will not use tritium AR sights.  The tritium capsule is often mounted significantly lower than the top of the front sight.  At close range, it wont matter than much, but at distance in dim light, it can throw off your POI significantly since your eye will focus on the tritium instinctively since its brighter, even though you may be able to see the top of the sight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Lumpy, you forgot to mention that the tritium front sight is also wider and subtends more of your target.  Not a problem up close, just not as precise at distance.  

We just switched to the Trijicon's on over 100 of our M4A1's and they take a little bit more effort because they are as wide as our 100 yard target.  Also we have had to zero these sights near dusk, and the darker it got, the harder it was to obtain a true zero because of the POI change Lumpy mentioned.  

With that said, if you don't have optics mounted they're not bad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
My CQB AR is my main house gun. I have grabbed it more than once to investigate bumps in the night both in the house, and out in the back yard. Aimpoints rule. Period.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought you hid behind Wanda when something goes bump in the night?

[flame]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top