Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 3:17:53 AM EDT
Hi
I'm looking for a 1st or 2nd Gen. Night vision device. It won't be for any serious work, more like a cool add-on, but it'd be nice if it could handle some serious work if it needed to.

I'm getting an eotech very soon, and I was hoping i could get something that would work with that (1x magnification, no reticle). But it's not nessessary.

I was also looking at some ATN scopes...Is this a good brand?

Will bright lights, and the lack of a flash-hider hurt NVD?

Exactly how bad is a 1st Gen. device? Are they extremely blurry? Anyone have any pics by any chance?
Hows 2nd Gen?

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Exactly how bad is a 1st Gen. device? Are they extremely blurry? Anyone have any pics by any chance? Hows 2nd Gen?
View Quote

I'd like to hear other's opinions on this.  I've read that 1st gen is just terrible and really a waste for anything but goofing off.  I've heard that SOME 2nd gens aren't bad for short range work.  3rd gen is supposedly leaps and bounds past 2nd.  Can anyone give their own insights?

I've also read that Gen 0/1 are short-life because of the design of their image intensifier tubes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats pretty much dead on.  Gen I sucks and requires the use of an IR illuminator to function.  Gen II is OK if its all you can afford but does not work as well in very dark areas.

What is your budget?  We could reccoemend some things to look at if you give us a price range.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Well since it will be more of a fun thing than a serious nessessity, I was looking at the ATNs offered here [url]http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/atn/index.html[/url] Is this a good brand?

But i'm open minded to any other suggestions.
My budget would preferably be around or below $1500 thanks!

and whoa! these things have lifespans? Do you mean like a light bulb? Or is it a quality issue? (1500 would be alot for something that will definately burn out one day)
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
and whoa! these things have lifespans? Do you mean like a light bulb? Or is it a quality issue? (1500 would be alot for something that will definately burn out one day)
View Quote

Yes, they have life spans.  Gen 2 or higher will GENERALLY last you a life time if they are quality parts and you take care of them.

You might want to read this:

[url]http://www.howstuffworks.com/nightvision.htm[/url]

It explains a good amount.  I'd also do some searching around on google.com for which brands are the best, etc.  If I were going to plop down $1.5k on night vision, I'd definetly go with something the military has/does use because I know it will be durable, won't fail me when I need it and last a LONG time if I take care of it.

Edited to make URL work.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top