Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2003 8:56:24 PM EDT
Been reading about Valdada Optics for some time- they rank up there with the best in Euro optics plus have Zies etched glass in true 30mm- and they will take a beating plus they truly will hold zero.

I only started considering them when I realized I could buy two of them for one ACOG. I like ACOG's as several of my friends have them but can't justify the price, plus for my application they don't make a specific ACOG for a 14.5" barrel with carry handle. Why trijicon makes barrel and caliber specific reticles I don't know- a nice mildot with or modified Dragonov with maybe a donot center aiming would be nice. So back to square one and which optics to buy.

If anyone uses the Valdada what do you think about them?  

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a 4X on my 20" (a FAR Phantom). Used the 'quick-detach' mounts that Valdada makes and locked her down. After 6 months and several mounts/dis-mounts, it's still zeroed!
I think they are one of the best deals goin!
If you get one, be sure to go with the higher mounts tho'.You'll probably end up installing one of the 'Tactical' charging latches as well (gives you a bit more clearance). Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
All scopes with bullet drop compensators are calibrated against a certain bullet (size and shape) traveling at a certain velocity (barrel lenght). It's needed as a round fired from a different barrel will have a different ballistic path - likewise a bullet fired in a shorter or longer barrel will also travel a different ballistic path.

Look at the ballastic table for your round at given velocities. You'll see as you look at other rounds and different velocities the drop will change slightly. Most people using BDC's are shooting at game or people - both of which will allow for a bit of "miss" from the point of aim.

Target shooters shoot only at known ranges and have calibrated come-ups for each distance recorded.

If you're shooting with a .223 in a rifle zeroed at 200 yards the round will drop about 6-8" a hundred yards later, and from 18-26" at 400 yards. If you estimate your range poorly you'll find that your still on - as long as you've zeroed at 200 yards and give a bit of Kentucky windage at the longer ranges - shooting a .223 at game like a deer or a person you better not be shooting tiny .55 grain bullets at ranges beyond battle zero if you think that you need one shot kills. Game disappears ... people shoot back with larger caliber weapons that can kill at those ranges.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one on my Colt M4 and love it.

See prior discussion thread at: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=159450[/url]
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I only have 2 gripes with IOR.  #1, their windage and elevation knobs are tension adjusted, not the click type.  #2, their warranty will take forever.  If you have a warranty issue, they have to ship the optics back to Europe for repair.  I got a M2 where one of the 2 tension screws on the elevation knob has too shallow of a slot.  I've stripped the slot trying to loosen it.  My only other option is to take a dremel to it and try to deepen the slot or maybe make a cross cut so I can use a phillips screwdriver.  Very frustrating....
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one, the M2, I like it very much, well built, loaded with features, and affordable. Hard to go wrong.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I only have 2 gripes with IOR.  #1, their windage and elevation knobs are tension adjusted, not the click type.  #2, their warranty will take forever.  If you have a warranty issue, they have to ship the optics back to Europe for repair.  I got a M2 where one of the 2 tension screws on the elevation knob has too shallow of a slot.  I've stripped the slot trying to loosen it.  My only other option is to take a dremel to it and try to deepen the slot or maybe make a cross cut so I can use a phillips screwdriver.  Very frustrating....
View Quote

I'm not sure I understand the tension thing...both the M2 that I used to own and the 6 x 42 tactical I now own have very positive clicks with very little backlash.  I replaced the little flat-head screws with little allen-head screws...problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#7]
My M2 doesn't have clicks either when adjusting for zero (screws loose and only turning the upper portion of the turret).  Once zeroed, then yes the turrets do have clicks.  So far, it looks like each click of windage is about 1.5 moa on my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My M2 doesn't have clicks either when adjusting for zero (screws loose and only turning the upper portion of the turret).  Once zeroed, then yes the turrets do have clicks.  So far, it looks like each click of windage is about 1.5 moa on my rifle.
View Quote

You don't loosen the screws to zero...only to reset the dial once you've zeroed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The IOR Valdada warranty / repair station is in Littleton, CO not Europe as someone stated earlier.    A scope that needs repair gets sent to the facility in Colorado. With my scope, they were very quick to turn it around.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top