Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 4:55:45 AM EDT
Specifically in regards to my TA01NSN, but I'm sure others must be wondering the same in regards to other optics.

In my estimation, some pros and cons:

Obviously reduces glare from the enemy standpoint.  Protects the front lense during use.  Reduces glare to the user in bright sunlight.

The reduction in light seems to be the biggest gripe.

Now, from a civilian perspective with a touch of SHTF paranoia thrown in for good measure, do the pros outweigh the cons?

For most of us, getting into full camo gear, including face paint & all those goodies is probably not gonna happen, even in a full-blown SHTF scenerio.  So, I ask, is the Killflash really warranted in this application?

Is the glare from a compact optic really that much of a concern when you are dressed as a civilian?

NEW_ARGUY, whatdaya' think?  IIRC, I did not see a Killflash on your carbine when you've posted pics here before.

TIA.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Killflash makes very good sense on the coated optics like the Aimpoints and Reflex.

I was looking at my TA11 wondering if it needed a killflash (not that there is one available [:(]) but there doesn't look to be much reflection.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah, perhaps that is why New_Arguy doesn't use one on his.  The ACOGs have a rather substantial shroud over the objective lense, which I'm assuming is to help reduce glare both to the user and those who might be trying to spot you.  Perhaps this is enough and the Killflash is overkill.

I believe the Killflash website claims that the DoD has ordered a billion of them for the troops.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You are right about the reduction in light.  I used a killflash on my Reflex II and although they say a light reduction of 15% it seems alot darker.  Plus the honeycombing can be a bit distracting until one gets used to it.

The honeycomb could hinder acquiring a long range precise target?

I too think the hood is fairly good on the ACOGs, maybe less so on the compact models.

Can't recall if I've heard of guys using nylons as a cheap killflash idea... can still see through well enough.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I just read a thread in which someone mentioned using nylon.  But the idea of tromping around with an evil black rifle with nylons wrapped around my scope is... well, just sounds really gay to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand the concept, but I find the honeycombing to be quite distracting on my Aimpoint.  A proper application is with my 10 power rifle scope.  Due to the magnification, the honeycomb cannot be seen at all.  In fact, the difference in light is subtle.  In the case of my rifle, it is more to keep out unwanted artifacts on the image rather than hiding from the enemy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just read a thread in which someone mentioned using nylon.  But the idea of tromping around with an evil black rifle with nylons wrapped around my scope is... well, just sounds really gay to me.
View Quote

Even guys in the military who have to tromp through swamps or jungles wear nylons to keep the leeches and other bugs off them.  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Even guys in the military who have to tromp through swamps or jungles wear nylons to keep the leeches and other bugs off them.  [:)]
View Quote

For the most part, no wive's tale there...worked wonders against chiggers for sure, that is, as long as one didn't get a runner [shock].

O'DubhGhaill
[url=www.forcerecon.com]Force Recon Association[/url] regular member #2259
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad I have a killflash on my Aimpoint. For $27 it's a nice addition, since it helps reduce glare on a bright sunny day. Go outside during the winter time with snow everywhere on a bright day and you'll appreciate that killflash.

I believe the product number is TA57 for the TA01NSN, TA01 and TA31. I'm not positive on the TA31 but I believe it works for all 3 scopes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a killflash on both my Aimpoint M2 and my TA31F and have been pleased with them. I notice the honeycomb on the Aimpoint, but it is not hard to get used to and it helps on bright, sunny days. I don't notice the honeycomb at all on the TA31F.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I used pieces of my wife's nylons on my binos...  on an ACOG I'll go with the killflash, I think.

Alex
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#11]
And fishnet stockings for those 'special' occasions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Though it's on a little different rig I like the Killflash a lot. I have it mounted on my Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 LR M3. I can only detect a darker image right at dusk, but even then it is minimal. It's also kinda handy as it keeps junk from coming in contact with the lens.

Here's a couple pictures. The first is with a 2.5 inch sunshade and the second is with the screw-in Killflash -

[IMG]http://home.attbi.com/~savage308/wsb/media/159329/site1053.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http://home.attbi.com/~savage308/wsb/media/159329/site1054.JPG[/IMG]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Great pics.  Seems like the general consensus is to keep the Killflash.

I should metion that I have one on my ACOG, and have not noticed any detriment thus far.  I have not, however, used it at dusk, but the illuminated crosshair glows quite nicely whenever I transition to low or almost no light.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I have them on my Leupold M1's as well. If you think it's a problem during dusk, unscrew it.. :)

Seems simple enough, though.. I see no degradation worth mentioning..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top