Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2003 4:39:38 PM EDT
I've been bouncing back and forth between an EO Tech and an Aimpoint about 20 imes a day. Going batty.

My question about the EO tech is when it's mounted right down on a flattops rail, is it high enough to see over the front sight assmebly?

I used to have a Trij Reflex sight where the dot and front post were lined up pretty good. After using it a short time I never even noticed the front sight.  Was wondering if the EO would be the same.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/m4mre-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/guns/reticle.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Question for you Mr. Lee. What type of handguards are pictured above, and what BUIS is that?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmm...... well....  that didn't help.   (Well, it helped a lot and it told me exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.  It just didn't make up my mind for me.) :)
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Question for you Mr. Lee. What type of handguards are pictured above, and what BUIS is that?
View Quote

The M4 has a KAC free float RAS MRE, which stands for Modular Rail extension.  The flip up rear sight is an AMRS #40, the best BUIS on the market.

Quoted:
Hmmmmm...... well....  that didn't help.   (Well, it helped a lot and it told me exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.  It just didn't make up my mind for me.) :)
View Quote

It is really not that hard. you will win with either.  find the one that looks the best for you and the one that meet your requirement and buy it.  both optics are first rate and used by profesional all over the world.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking at the second picture, it seems that the 1 MOA dot is sitting right over the front sight. Doesn't that make it hard to use if the front sight is in it's way, or does the picture not tell the whole story?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You will not notice the front sight much once you are in target acquistition mode.  Since your foucs is on the target or searching for targets the front sight will be pretty much invisible.  the picture just don't tell the story as far as the front sight is concern, but it is a good picture to give the members some good idea on the reticle clarity.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I know I just need to see one in person, and maybe the gun show this weekend will let me, but ...
If the front sight is between the dot and the target, even if you aren't focusing on the front sight, how can you put the dot on a spot on the target? Is it a case where the picture simulates aiming with the iron sights, and if you used the Eotech dot by itself your head would be higher so the dot would be higher?

I hate to sound like an idiot, and I hopefully will see one in person, but it's hard to figure out this way. (but thanks for trying to help)
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Will it help you to know that I am thinking about selling my 6mo old Aimpoint and getting ANOTHER EO Tech?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If you mount the Eotech directly on your flat top; yes you will see the front sight. However, that is not a problem. Just look around the front sight! Remember, the red dot does NOT have to be centered in the reticle in order to hit point of aim. And the field of view through the Eotech is enormous, making looking around the front sight ridiculously simple. With this arrangement, you can also mount a flip-up rear sight and sight right through the Eotech should it fail.
Caution: if you also use a rail, such as the Swan or GG&G, The holosight will now be too high to use back up iron sights to look through it.
In short, just buy the damned Eotech and bolt it on. It is so very, very cool you'll wonder how you lived without it.
Good kuck.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Does that Eotech in the photo have the protective guard on it or is that the sunshade?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does that Eotech in the photo have the protective guard on it or is that the sunshade?
View Quote

That is the protective hood. AFAIK, there is no sunshade for the EO Tech.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
deniro, I'm in Arlington...if you are anywhere near No. Va, you can meet me at the Izaak Walton League in Centreville and shoot mine.  

I just got the Holosight/#40 combo for my M4gery, and it's very nice, I must say.  The sights co withness perfectly, and with that big Holosight window, you can actually see well enough to actually use the iron sights.  

In a few weeks, I'll have an Aimpoint on a #38, so I'll be able to compare the two.  In broad daylight, the center dot in the Holosight is very small; it shows up perfectly in the center of an SR-1 target, with lots of black around it.  My Kobra sight has a similar small dot, and I shot a 2 1/2" 25 shot group with that one day...and that was semi rapid fire to boot.  (it was benched...I'm NOT Alvin York!)

SMGLee's picture shows it perfectly, except in real life the overall sight picture is better, you won't see anywhere near as much of the Eotech itself...AND, the red dot is much more prominent...in the pic, it looks like you can't see it because of the front sight.  If your considering the Eotech for a tactical/cqb kind of application, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  

It's kind of hard to describe the "optical illusion" that goes on in your brain, but you don't really notice the front sight; it's not hard to see the dot even if it's under the front sight post...because it's bright red, your eye picks it up much better than the sight, and it kind of overrides everything else.  With the rear sight up, you can change your reference point to the front sight, and ignore the dot.  It works, even though it doesn't sound like it should.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top