Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2003 8:24:17 PM EDT
 Okay, I'm a total newbie. Never owned a scope and never looked through one. My question is for all the guys out there who where glasses all the time. Do you need to take your glasses off like binoculars or not? Honestly, I'm asking because I'm just to lazy to think through it. Thanks.;-)
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
you need eye protection at all times [:)]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Duffy is right you need eye protection all the time, don't look at the sun through your scope and don't point your gun at anything you don't intend to kill, and don't pick your nose in public......Come on.....give me a break.
The answer to your question is there is a certain amount of eye relief with scopes, usually a couple of inches, not necessary with telescopes because telescopes don't kick even the slightest bit.  
So yes you get to wear your eyeglasses.
DCS
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol Yellowlab take it easy on shotgun, he said he's a newbie.  I find it at times inconvenient to have glasses when looking through spotting scope and scopes like ACOG that have short eye reliefs, but considering the alternative (having one [B)]or NO eyes), well you know the rest [BD]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
That's funny. I was looking for an answer on how clear the target appears. I have astygmatism so my sight is blurry without glasses. You must be a total pessimist to think that I was actually stupid enough to think that the scope would hit me in the eye.

"You'll shoot your eye out!" [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
YOu can do either:

1 If you are a paranoid freak and think you may need your scope in the middle of the night but not have glasses on you can focus the scopes diopter to your un-aided eyes (it will be clear everything else will not)

2 Like everyone else you can focus it with your glasses ON.

[b]The only place I see this being an issue is with ACOG's the eye relief is very VERY short and glasses are not very helpful here

unfortunately the factory has decided for us by not providing an eyepiece focus.

But contacts are nice in this instance to protect your nose from harm that could be caused if your glasses take a strike (since obviously then you won't need to wear them).[/b]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I wear my prescription glasses at all times while shooting.

I can shoot my AR with a TA01 ACOG mounted to it just fine, and that scope has some short eye-relief! My coke-bottle thick lenses don't get in the way at all.  

Av.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I don't wear glasses (I'm near sighted) when looking through magnified optics, the reticles will look fuzzy to me but the sight picture will be clear.  Wearing glasses clears up the reticle and the sight picture remains the same...I dunno why it is like that for me.
View Quote

You should have the capability to adjust the focus on the reticles. So, if you see a good sight picture the reticles can be adjusted to bring them in focus.  Depending on the scope you may just turn a ring or turn the whole eyepiece, ocular lens.  Once adjusted the eyepiece is held in place by a locking ring.

Adjusting the focus of the sight picture, or object that you are looking at, is done at the other end or objective end. Typically this feature is found only on high quality target scopes as it is not required, and too expensive to provide, on regular hunting scopes.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never really  shot anything without my prescription glasses,accept when I praticed pistol drills without my glasses. Shooting was close up 10-20 yds but I still shoot WAAy better with my glasses on.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
You must be a total pessimist to think that I was actually stupid enough to think that the scope would hit me in the eye.
View Quote

No, but you'd be stupid to fire *any* gun without safety glasses....
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Look, since it seems that nobody understood my attempt at humor, let me explain.
I felt Duffy sounded like someone's mother and I couldn't help poking fun at "HIM".
Now, Shotgun, since you wern't worried about recoil, you didn't understand my joke about the telescope not kicking. I'm not a pessimist because sometimes people do get cut above the eye by the scope when the gun kicks.  Of course, ar15's hardly kick and as I said "telescopes don't kick at all".
And so, after furthur review, I have to say, I may consider wearing safety glasses when I shoot with my contacts in.
Glad you got "me" to thinking!
DCS
DCS
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Getting cut by a scope is not why you should wear safety glasses.   You wear safety glasses if you don't want to get blinded by shrapnel if your gun blows up... or even just fires a little bit out of battery.... or a tiny piece of lead or copper richochets back.... or a piece of ejected brass bounces off of a tree... or any of a dozens accidents that could [i]never[/i] happen to [i]you[/i].

A few years back, one of my buddies would occassionally have a "zit" flare up on his nose or cheek, when he poped it, a speck of brass would float out with the puss.   That was from a .45 ACP that fired out of battery, I shudder to think what might have happened if he hadn't been wearing glasses.   I hate to think what a .223 Rem would do....
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:55:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't say getting cut by the scope was the only reason to wear safety glasses.  My comment about getting cut was in reguard to my origional post WHERE I TRIED TO BE HUMOUROUS AND STATE THAT TELESCOPES DON'T KICK.
You are absolutely correct, the case can split and cause nasty things to happen, the bullet can fragment and richochet back and blind one, all kinds of nasty, painful things can happen if one doesn't wear his safety glasses.
So, let's all wear our safety glasses, I'm wearing mine right now.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I wear glasses and use standard, ocular-lens focusable scopes fine.  The major problem for me is head position, so I'm not looking out the corner of my lenses.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top