Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 4:33:30 PM EDT
Went to sight in my new ARMS 40 sight today on a 14.5 inch barreled upper.  When sighted in at 200 yards with the small aperature and then switch to the large ghost ring, the ghost ring shoots approximately 1 foot to the right and 8 inches low.  Also just changing the aperatures back and fourth causes the sighted in aperature to change point of impact, but not to such an extreme.  I have never experienced this with a standard A2 sight and believe the sight is probably defective.  It is on tight and my Aimpoint stayed on zero when I tried it to see if possibly the barrel was heating up causing the difference.  Anybody else have this problem and if so was it fixable?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok Troy, I checked out the place that makes the same plane sight aperatures, and the elevation question seems to be answered pretty much, but is it normal for the windage to shift so much as well?  Also what kind of repeatability will the ARMS40 give when flipping the aperature back and forth (ie going from the small aperature, and flipping it back and forth to the small aperature again) and flipping the entire sight up as well?  Since it isn't a rigid mount I can understand a little error, I just noticed when I unhinge the hook and let the sight flip up it can still move forward some if I gently push on it as though the spring isn't pushing it up to it's full rotation.  Thanks for the response
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Is your aperature on backwards?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
No, it's on the correct way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
...but is it normal for the windage to shift so much as well?  
View Quote

Rotating the sight to change apertures takes the apertures through 90 degrees of motion, which is the same as turning the windage knob two clicks (1MOA).  The large apertures on my rifles are actually cut a bit to the right to account for this sideways shift when changing apertures.

ARMS does use a non-standard aperture (horizon line) and I wonder if they forgot about this detail.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
but is it normal for the windage to shift so much as well?  
View Quote

My ARMS sight is so tight that flipping aperatures causes the windage knob to turn. A little thumb pressure takes care of it, but it's only 2 clicks windage - MUCH less than the 1 foot drift you're describing.

???
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top