Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2003 9:24:06 AM EDT
which do you all prefer and why? co-witness or absolute co-witness?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
co witness is where the iron do not intersect witht he red dot, so the iron can appear in the lower 25% of the optic window, where as absolute co-witness is the red dot right on top of the iron.

I can take either, it doesn't really make a difference to me.  but do prefer my iron sitting on the lower 25% of the window.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy,

I am talking the same thing. just my english skill are not as skillful. [:)]

Aimpoint setup is co-witness and EOTech flatop mount is the absolute co-witness.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]
By this definition, I also prefer 'co-witness' (using Aimpoint/RAS2).
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone explain what the purpose of "absolute" co-witness would be?

Chris
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, by "absolute cowitness", you mean that the irons are *centered* in the view of the optic?  Forgive me if it's taking a little to long to sink into my thick skull...  [:)]

If that's the case, then MY preference is NOT for "absolute cowitness", as I prefer the irons to be in the bottom 3rd of the optic, which makes them mostly disappear when using the optic normally by looking OVER the rear sight.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy, you are ABSOLUTELY correct. I alos prefer just the co-witness, but with EOTech, it is the absolute co-witness or nothing on a flat top.  unless they are planning on making a new mount for it....  hmmmm could that be possible??
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Troy .... your explanation makes perfectly good sense.

I was wondering if someone was (is?) going to explain to me that it's desirable to have both the front sight post AND the rear aperture directly in the middle of the optic field of view; [i]rear sight-optic aiming point-front sight[/i] .... sight alignment from HELL.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I alos prefer just the co-witness, but with EOTech, it is the absolute co-witness or nothing on a flat top.  unless they are planning on making a new mount for it....  hmmmm could that be possible??
View Quote

SMGLee, have you thought about an ARMS #19A with an EOTech?  That is a much lower mount than the #38, #40, etc.  I wonder how well that would work to raise the EOTech a little?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If that's the case, then MY preference is NOT for "absolute cowitness"
View Quote

You can have your Absolut.  I prefer Stolichnaya CoWitness.  551 on the rocks[;)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
one of the reasons that i recall hearing somewhere (and it makes some sort of sense) for an 'absolute co-witness' with an aimpoint is that if the aimpoint dot fails, and you're at CQB/very close distances (where the use of a small rear sight aperture *might* be a bit difficult or slow) - by centering the front sight in the aimpoint the tube can actually be used as a very large 'ghost ring' for quick shots.

cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that's the case, then MY preference is NOT for "absolute cowitness"
View Quote

You can have your Absolut.  I prefer Stolichnaya CoWitness.  551 on the rocks[;)]
View Quote

[lol]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
one of the reasons that i recall hearing somewhere (and it makes some sort of sense) for an 'absolute co-witness' with an aimpoint is that if the aimpoint dot fails, and you're at CQB/very close distances (where the use of a small rear sight aperture *might* be a bit difficult or slow) - by centering the front sight in the aimpoint the tube can actually be used as a very large 'ghost ring' for quick shots.

cheers,
MM
View Quote

I can see what you're saying IF .... you had a flip-up rear sight.  If not, everytime you sight through the optic, you're looking through the iron sights too.

A [i]very[/i] cluttered sight picture.

For me, having the front sight assembly in the optic field of view is an acceptable compromise.

But I can't see myself being able to use the optic effectively if the rear sight aperture is also in the way, as in iron sights [b]centered[/b] in the optic field of view.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#16]
OK guys,  i have my dot set so you can look through the rear peep and see the red dot on the top tip of the front sight post.  when the front sights are not visible such as in a dark room this allowas me to allways know where my sight is. i can pop my head up and just use the dot which appears over the sights at that point. is this set up wrong? if it is wrong, it sure does work real efficiently.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OK guys,  i have my dot set so you can look through the rear peep and see the red dot on the top tip of the front sight post.  when the front sights are not visible such as in a dark room this allowas me to allways know where my sight is. i can pop my head up and just use the dot which appears over the sights at that point. is this set up wrong? if it is wrong, it sure does work real efficiently.
View Quote

Good 1x optics will be parallax free.  That means that no matter where the dot is in the glass (top, side, center, etc), it is still basically aimed at the same point.  To verify this, put the dot in the center of the glass and notice where it lands.  If you move your head up, down, left, or right, the dot should still be on target, even though it is no longer in the center of the glass.  

To recap the discussion above:

Obviously, you want the red dot to point at the same spot as the iron sights.  So if they are zeroed to the same spot, the red dot will always be on the tip of the front sight when you look through the rear sight.  The only question, then is whether you want have the irons directly in the center of your field of view through the scope (we're calling this "absolute co-witnessing" in this thread) or in the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of the glass.  The latter arrangement is still co-witnessed, but it gives you a much better field of view through your optic.  The dot will still be on target whether you look through the iron sights or the center of the tube; otherwise a dot sight is pretty pointless.  (no pun intended [;)])

If you have the irons in the center of glass and you're happy with it, more power to you.  I used to do that, but I'm much happier with the irons lower and a better field of view.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I can see what you're saying IF .... you had a flip-up rear sight.  If not, everytime you sight through the optic, you're looking through the iron sights too.

Chris
View Quote

i agree completely - i should have clarified -thanks for bringing that up. yes, it was assumed that you have a flip-up rear so that it is NOT in the way when using the tube as a 'ghost ring'.
my personal preference is flip-up front and rear sights for the least cluttered sight picture, so where the line of sight falls in the tube is a moot point for me :-P
cheers!
MM
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Good 1x optics will be parallax free.  That means that no matter where the dot is in the glass (top, side, center, etc), it is still basically aimed at the same point.  To verify this, put the dot in the center of the glass and notice where it lands.  If you move your head up, down, left, or right, the dot should still be on target, even though it is no longer in the center of the glass.  

To recap the discussion above:

Obviously, you want the red dot to point at the same spot as the iron sights.  So if they are zeroed to the same spot, the red dot will always be on the tip of the front sight when you look through the rear sight.  The only question, then is whether you want have the irons directly in the center of your field of view through the scope (we're calling this "absolute co-witnessing" in this thread) or in the bottom 1/3 or 1/4 of the glass.  The latter arrangement is still co-witnessed, but it gives you a much better field of view through your optic.  The dot will still be on target whether you look through the iron sights or the center of the tube; otherwise a dot sight is pretty pointless.  (no pun intended [;)])

If you have the irons in the center of glass and you're happy with it, more power to you.  I used to do that, but I'm much happier with the irons lower and a better field of view.
View Quote

Now THAT'S a reply worth repeating.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I GUESS IT WOULDA HELPED TO TELL U GUYS THE RIFLE HAS A CARRY HANDLE. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I GUESS IT WOULDA HELPED TO TELL U GUYS THE RIFLE HAS A CARRY HANDLE. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION
View Quote

The principle(s) still apply.

The AR that I use for the pics in this thread that Troy referred to ....

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=157273[/url]

.... is also an A2 (carry handle).

Chris
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#22]
thanks for all your replies i appreciate the feedback and the help.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top