Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2003 9:16:02 AM EDT
Anybody tried one of these yet. It is around $100, I realize it's no Leupold, but I wonder if it's atleast worth it's price tag.

My link won't work...the list them on the Cheaper then dirt website.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/product_images/777/SCP-607.jpg[/img]

Your right looks like rip-off of newer Leupold, have no experience w/ them, other than their just as ugly as the Leupy CQT.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered one....We'll see if it's any good. I am just a range guy anyway. My life won't have to depend on my $100 scope:)
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I asked Leapers (the manufacturer) about the reticle, and they said it was a duplex.  If it was a dot, I'd be tempted, but I'm not interested in crosshairs for a QCB scope (which this is trying to be).
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You only pay for quality ONCE.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can afford the $800 Leupold..go for it. I can't...simple as that. Don't get me wrong, If I had more money in the "Gun fund" I'd buy the real one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you can afford the $800 Leupold..go for it. I can't...simple as that. Don't get me wrong, If I had more money in the "Gun fund" I'd buy the real one.
View Quote

I think the point (for me) is that they fill different roles.  The Leupold is a 1-3x dot scope.  The Leapers is a 4x scope with a crosshair reticle.  If you a want a low-power dot scope and can't afford the Leupold (join the club), get a used Aimpoint compM.

Personally, I'm waiting for a cheap 4x scope with a dot reticle.  That would allow easy BAC aiming like the ACOG TA11/31, but wouldn't break the bank.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If that darn Leupold was even as low as $500 with the flattop mount, I'd have to go for one. Maybe nobody will keep buying them and they will come down....and then I'll wake up and buy another a $500 AR10 too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is it the F__nch say?  Something like "I am not so wealthy that I can afford to buy cheap things."
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I almost laughed when I saw that thing on one of the catalogs I get. I think I first saw it in the Clearview catalog or something. If you got $100 to throw away, go ahead. Because if you buy that thing, thats just what you are doing. Better to roll up a $100 bill in a tube and mount it to your gun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
lol the rolled up $100 will probably be more reliable, and after the range trip you can use it to get a limo to drive you back home.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
From what I hear, you don't want the Leupold anyway.  Heavy, short battery life, etc....

There are lot's of options that could fit your budget and still be much better than a $100 chinese throw-away - they just won't have people walking up saying "[i]Kewl Dude, that's the new Leupold, isn't it?[/i]".

For me, I want quality over flash.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
That's so amazing that they picked a scope to copy that many don't like in the first place. Although its a real scope, the whole concept IMHO is kind of "AirSoftish".[sleep]  

I'd be embarrassed to show up at the range with that because the shooters who really know their stuff would laugh. (Heck, they might laugh if I came with a real Leupold!) The only people I'd be impressing with the Leapers would be people who have no clue. NOTE: I'm not trying to be sarcastic, that's just my honest opinion.

Now if they made a cheap $100 knock-off of the ACOG, I'm sure they'd make a lot more money. Bet it would come with: fake NSN irons and a fake BAC fiber tube, for bragging rights. Magnetic mounts for, "Fastest detachability under high-stress tactical situations." You know the types that would buy it- The same ones with a AA mini Maglite on their barrel, a $10 laser, etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Funny thing is, they have already made one that looks just like the ACOG NSN for the airsoft guns. Saw them on Ebay.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#15]
What's funny to me is that I asked if anyone has tried them....nobody has, yet everyone has condemned them. I don't want it because I think it looks like the Leupold, I just thought I would try it and see what it is like. It may not be a good quality scope...who knows. I really like me Tasco Super Sniper scope and guess what....that kinda looks like a Leupold too. I really like my Bushmaster, Armalite, Professional Ordnance, etc....AR style guns and guess what....they kinda look like a Colt.

It may be crap, but for $100 I want to check it out.

P.S. I don't have a ring that my rolled up $100 bil fits in properly...maybe Arms makes something:)
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#16]
What exactly is one supposed to be hanging off all those rails?  If you want to mount more gadgets on your gun, seems like a handguard rail system would make more sense.  Only thing I could think you may want to put on the rails on a scope is more optics, but that, IMHO, would look sorta silly.  

Rocko
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11452[/img]
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#18]
[LOLabove]

Now that's what I'm looking for, MAN!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Now that is some funny stuff raht theyre, I don't care who ya' are!
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I say if it interests you then go for it. Hell, even my cell-phone bill is usually more than a $100...now, that's outrageous!!

Seriously, though, I've known guys using iron sights that could shoot right with a lot of others using scoped rifles. It's like this, if you're the kind of guy that's into showing up at ranges trying to impress other shooters by flashing high-speed "latest of the latest" gear, then this might not be your thing.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're the kind of guy that's into showing up at ranges with gear that actually works and does something for you, then this might not be your thing. [:P]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh, did I hit a nerve. What's really funny is watching all of the posers that think they're some kind of Det-D guy with tricked out ARs and can't even operate them proficiently. I get embarrassed just being on the same range as these fools.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#23]
So, anybody try one of these yet?

No....o.k.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So, anybody try one of these yet?

No....o.k.

Thanks.
View Quote

So buy the thing and tell us about it, already!
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I ordered it on Tuesday.....I haven't got it yet. Even if it's a piece of crap, I'm gonna lie now:)

I'll tell the truth....I promise.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#26]
i got it too, its surprisingly well built, with a good clear sight picture, the only thing that disappoints me is that the knobs are actually covers, within them is a the windage adjustments that u have to use a screwdriver or a coin to make the click adjustments, but besides that it seems to be a decent scope for the money, im still waiting for my upper from sableco so i havent been able to use it yet
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
the only thing that disappoints me is that the knobs are actually covers, within them is a the windage adjustments that u have to use a screwdriver or a coin to make the click adjustments
View Quote

That's actually a feature, not a bug!  Seriously, the better scopes like Aimpoints and ACOGs all have protective caps over the adjustments.  It's better, IMHO, because you don't run the risk of bumping your scope out of zero.

The reticle is a crosshair (duplex), right?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:59:46 AM EDT
[#28]
So, did you get your trirail yet HK_Dude?

Just wondering what you thought of it and keeping this post from getting lost.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, Fedex has an estimated delivery for tomorrow....I'll let you guys know.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#30]
yes it is a black crosshair retical, like i said the optics do seem very clear, one nice feature is it has an adjustable diopter (sp?) so you can adjust the focus, some more expensive scopes dont even have that

oh just to let you know, it is NOT a quick detach scope, it uses 2 allen screws and a "secure bar" to secure it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#31]
All the asthetics of Leupold CQT with none of the enefit?

No dot no 1-3power.  

I think the Leupold sucks though so this may make more sense.

How about a 1-3 power ACOG? that would be worth $ (BDC and reflex combined)

[b]I said that and then read posts:

I really don't like hating on people who don't have Leupold ACOG or US OPTICS $ to spend.  That's not cool.

I have an ACOG and I also have experience with Leapers and Leapers gives you a lot more per $1

Ie for $25-$100 I can sight my gun accurately from 100-300yds with Leapers

With ACOG For $750 (I bought mine used)

I can enjoy very clear optics and take out targets to 600meters with a large field of view.

I got a lot more with the ACOG BUT I PAID A LOT MORE TOO. [/b]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#32]
O.K....here's my 10 minute inspection before putting it back in the box and calling the 800 number to CTD...It looked real nice out of the box. It has a very nice flat black finish, no nicks or scratches. It seemed quite clear. The mount was sturdy and well designed. The lense cover were cheap and flimsy, I would throw these away. I mounted it directly on the receiver of my AR10....it sits too low and would need a riser mount of some sort. Here's the reason it's going back...After mounting it I looked through the scope and the reticle was rotated by at least 20 degrees. I have had bad history with scopes with rotated reticles, so instead of trying to exchange it and wait a few weeks and not know what I'd get next...I just returned it and cut my losses. I would buy it again if I could see one and inspect the reticle in person before purchasing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#33]
A 20 degree tilt on the reticle!  Sounds like pretty bad QC.  Hope you can find a better one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#34]
It was nasty....I am either getting an Aimpoint ML2 or an Eotech...any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry for the trouble you have had HK_Dude, but if it mkes you feel any better, I think you saved a lot of people reading this post some time and money.  Eotech, here I come!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I hope I did help....I'm not saying it's a piece of junk, but mine had the reticle problem. Besides that I kinda liked it. I just didn't want to waste time and money waiting and returning it until I got one that was right.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#37]
for a low power scope how about a 1-4x Leupold shotgun scope ?

I was thinking maybe for a .50 beowulf upper
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Well HK_Dude, it looks like you weren't the only one who had trouble with this optic.  I just did a search of the sites that are/were carrying it.  Here's the results.

Cheaper Than Dirt - Not listed on their website anymore at all.  I did a search on Yahoo, and it returned a cached copy of the scope listed on their bargain/closeout page, but it is no longer there.  I take it they are cutting their losses.

Leapers website - The sight was listed on the home page in a scrolling image box last week wiht their 5th gen. scope.  It is longer there.  Only the 5th gen. shows up now.

Tapco - Price reduced to $99.99 from $119.99.

Consensus seems to be the same as from your experience. POS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry guys, but like I said:

[b]YOU ONLY PAY FOR QUALITY ONCE[/B]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top