Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 7:43:14 PM EDT
Building a tack-driver. Bull barrel, 20-24" barrel, 1 in 8 twist, floated, broach-cut barrel, whole 9 yds.

Coyote and prarie dog are the intended recipients of this hi-speed .223 delivery system.

What power of optics? I don't want to overscope, but I don't want to be left wishing I could zoom in more! (IS 16x too much for a .223?)

Mil-dot is preferred.

Scope won't be a sportsman's guide $39.99 special! On the other hand, I'm not daddy warbucks either...

Anyone here WITH SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE with 3-9x, 3.5-10x, 4-16x, your opinion is highly appreciated.

Crispness is a cornerstone of this project also!!! (ie, no sportsmans guide specials...)
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently put a Weaver Tactical 4.5-14X44 on my BM Varminter.  SWFA has them for $500.  It has a Mil-Dot in the first plane, meaning that the mil size and reference still applies regardless of the magnification.  It comes with a sunshade and adjustable objective.  To top it off, the scope's matte finish matches my rifle perfectly and it looks great!  The crispness is great and easily as good as my father's tactical Leupold.  If you want to spend more on a scope, there are plenty that are probably better - for twice the price.  This scope is exactly what I wanted at a reasonable price.  It does all that any other scope priced under a grand can do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd check out a Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch.  Some of their models have mil dots.  They are first class glass and reasonably priced.

I ususally find 7 to 11 power the most useful for varmints.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Weaver Tactical 4.5-14X44 for the reasons specified above
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two Leupolds one is a VXII 3X9X40 tactical with Mil Dots.  The other one is a VXIII tactical 3.5X10X50 with Mil Dots.  The VXII is on my Bushmaster V-Match and was about $380.00.  The VXIII is on a .308 bolt gun.

The VXII is small and compact.  Great glass and excellent resale value. I never had a need for more power.  I shoot 600 to 800 yds with the bolt gun and about 300 yds with the Bushy.  (Only because it has a 16" barrel.

Rambosky
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
check out the Shepherd scopes....I have one on my 7MM STW and one on my ar15.......they work as advertised.........
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
10x56

www.valdada.org
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a little bit of everything.  I am currently running a Tasco target 36x 44mm on my DPMS 24" super bull for 300 yard shooting and I hate to admit it, but it is pretty good!  I also have a 4-12 leupold VXII on my Oly DCM rifle and the optics are super-crisp.  If you really want the bells and whistles, go with a Springfield.  They make one with rangefinding setup for the 5.56 round.  I have a Gen III on my AR-10T and it is awesome!  The only problem is the scope is really heavy!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top