Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 7:08:14 PM EDT
Hi,

I have been shooting M1's and M1A's for about 5 years now and just bought my first AR.

I was a Marine reservist and have been out since 1997.  I was not 'into' guns then so I paid little attention to the various parts of the rear sight except to clean it and to make adjustments that were barked to me while I was on the rifle range, qualifying.

Please help - How the Hell do you dope these sights?  It says 8/3 and I can remember setting up a 200 yard dope because we shot 2 strings at 200 yards, 1 at 300 yards, and 1 string at 500 yards.  I do not believe that the rear sights are set up in 1 moa increments like my M1 and M1A, are they?  Also, I seem to remember my D.I. - Sgt Williams (yeah I still remember him) yelling, "8/3 minus 2 is your 200 yard dope".  I can't get to 8/3 minus 2.  8/3 is as low as the sight will go.  I don't know what to do - maybe I will just drive to Fulton Armory and buy the NM A2 sights???

I know that I need to adjust the front sight post for my initial dope but if the rear sight is based upon some type of bullet drop compensation then how the hell do I adjust from 200 to 300 to 500 without moving the front sight from stage to stage?

Oh yeah, the rifle I got is the Rock River Arms AR 15 A2 variety.  It has a Wilson Hvy Bbl with the Wilson muzzle brake permanently pinned on.  I took it to the range this weekend but only shot it at 100 yards (not my normal range).  With shit ammo it was shooting 1 inch groups off a rest at 100 yards.  It is a very sharp looking rifle and I am glad that I bought it.  Only time it hung up was when I did the ol' 'rapid fire' - which was the 1st mag through it.  Failure to feed twice in 30 rounds.

I fired approx 75 additional rounds, loaded into a 30 round mag in 5's and 10's and had no more problems.

Thanks,

Sweet Pickle
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
This link might help you:

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw[/url]

Gabe
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#2]
To achieve "8/3 minus 2" for a 200 yd zero, try this:
(1) rotate elevation dial down to 8/3 aligns to witnes mark on left side of rear sight assy.
(2) insert a 1/16" allen wrench through hole in front of rear aperture with small peep in up position.
(3) lossen this allen screw about 3 turns.
(4) rotate the bottom knurled "third" of the elevation  clockwise (UP) direction as marked on the left side two or three clicks.
(5) then re-tighten the allen screw.
Now, you should be able to rotate the whole elevation dial a couple of clicks "below" the 8/3 by turning the dial counterclockwise to the (DN) direction.
Hope this helps.
However, this is not the last step.  Because you actually did not lower the rear sight aperture any, the dope change (a couple of clicks) will be required on the front sight post to actually lower your shot group on the target.  This requires the front sight post to be rotated counterclockwise.
And remember from the re-qual range: "always go to a complete safe weapon when adjusting the front sight post".
Then its "all ready on the left, all ready on the right, all ready on the firing line...targets"
Semper Fi,
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, good - So I am NOT crazy.  "8/3 minus 2" is a real dope and I remembered correctly.

"ready on the left, ready on the right... you may commence fire when your dog targets appear!!!  -- TARGETS.... UP!!!"

Thanks devildog.

Sweet Pickle

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, good - So I am NOT crazy.  "8/3 minus 2" is a real dope and I remembered correctly.

"ready on the left, ready on the right... you may commence fire when your dog targets appear!!!  -- TARGETS.... UP!!!"

Thanks devildog.

Sweet Pickle

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top