Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2002 11:46:39 AM EDT
Happy Holidays All.

I don't post here much, just usually lurk and soak up the info, but I do have a question.

My wife gave me an early Christmas Present a GGG MAD flip up rear for my Bushmaster 16" flat-top.

I installed it the the first day I got it (Saturday) and all was right with the world.

Today I was checking out my rifle when I noticed the sight base is canted to the left in relation to my rifle's receiver.  Also after removing the sight the sight body itself is canted slightly left in relation to the sight base!?  When installed and looking through the aperture you can tell it's not straight. When I tighten the hex head screw to install the sight, it almost seems to pull the sight over to the left.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it back and get a new one, for $100 you shouldn;t have a bent christmas present.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
ODD - never had a problem with anything GG&G I have got - but... Lemons do slip through

Send it back
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a refund and get an ARMS #40, and then you won't have to worry again.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm...

I'm not doubting what you've posted, but a crooked GG&G MAD flip is pretty unusual, to say the least.  Is it a REAL GG&G MAD flip, and so marked?  The only reason I ask is because there are a lot of American Spirit Arms "counterfeits" being sold as GG&G sights.  

Other than that, I can't imagine why it would sit crooked on a mil-spec flattop.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank-you to everyone who posted.

Looks like I will be sending it back to GG&G.  Still waiting on an e-mail reply from them, to see what they have to say.

Happy Holidays All!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a refund and get an ARMS #40, and then you won't have to worry again.
View Quote

Pass on the ARMS #40, it is garbage.  For starters, they cut away the top of the long-range apeture, so that it apperas to the eye to be a buckhorn rear sight.  Imprecise.  They claim to have done this as an anti-canting feature.  BS.  It appears they did it so the apeture does not contact the eyepiece of a low rear-mounted optic.

You want quality control?  On mine, if you change apetures, the windage drum moves.  That's right, you get new windage automatically everytime you rotate the apeture.

To boot, they still finish the sight in that light grey 1970s Colt finish.  Matches nothing modern.  And the release mechanism is balky, and the fold-down awkward.

The MAD is far better.  Sits lower, is sleeker, more practical, finished in black.  On a BUIS, I fail to see the need for 600 meter adjustments or dual range settings.  The MAD offers 2 apeture sizes to fit the combat conditions, and a 250M or 300M zero will take care of  anything you would be shooting at with iron sights.  Lifts up and down easliy, with gloves, and has a detent in each position.

Mine is not crooked.  Check your mounting position.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#8]
"Nonsense" just posted about the #40 drum and aperatures. They are std. gov't issue and they come with the std.full circle or the quick distant ranging notch to engage bad guys when your red dot is only zeroed to three hundred meters and someone is shooting at ya from 5-600 meters. The #40 doesn't fall down or accidently get deployed if hit by a branchwes,etc.,as it goes back into battery automaticaly, opposed to other type folders that you must be carefull not to accidently  bump down, especialy if you need a sight to be always reliabley there in a hurry. The release lever keeps it tuck down and away safely and can't get deployed unless you want it to.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]
3rdtk, will an ARMS #40 fit under an ACOG-NSN?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pass on the ARMS #40, it is garbage...
View Quote

[img]http://forums.iroczone.com/images/smiles/laughing2.gif[/img] Hahahaha! Puh-leeze! You may not like the #40, but garbage? C'mon. I have both, I like both, but the #40 is on my favorite gun along with all the rest of my favorite gear.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Nonsense" just posted about the #40 drum and aperatures. They are std. gov't issue...
View Quote

The "std. gov't issue" is standard for some special units only - - there is no agreement amongst the services on a BIS for starters, and most use the A2 carry handle.  The MAD is "std. gov't issue" as well.   Enough units and agencies thought the ARMS #40 sucks to ask for the MAD.

Somebody shooting at you 500-600 meters (which is over twice the maximum distance of the usual infantry engagement)?  AND your primary sight is inoperative??  AND you are able to locate the target???  AND there are no other ACOGs/ELCANs, SAWs, GPMGs, AT-4s or 40mm weapons available????  AND there are no air assets and no arty?????

That's some scenario.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Boomvang, while not part of the Dick Swan admiration society, I have never seen any garbage come out of ARMS.

While the #40 may not be for everyone it is definetly not garbage...

-Kevin
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top